How To Find And Choose Natural, Paraben-Free Mascara.

July 30, 2008

No, I did not take up cross dressing, but rather I have gotten several emails from readers about where they can find a “natural” mascara product. While it is difficult to find an all-natural mascara that doesn’t contain one bad thing or another, anyone buying it should always strive to buy something as pure as they can. After all, who wants all those chemicals in and around their eyes? In my research, here are a few products I came across that were both paraben-free and that listed their ingredients:

Truly Natural Mascara from Honeybee Gardens. This stuff is mostly natural and paraben-free. They even list the ingredients on the website: purified water, vegetable glycerin, beeswax, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, vegetable glyceryl stearate, lecithin, vegetable stearic acid, safflower oil, glycine soja (soybean) oil (and) aloe barbadensis leaf extract, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, silica, cellulose gum, tocopherol, xanthan gum, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, phenoxyethanol.

Earth’s Beauty Natural Mascara from apothena.com. Made from beeswax and it is a vegan product. Ingredients: Water, Candelilla Wax, Organic Beeswax, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Aloe Vera, Proprietary Herbal Extract Blend, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Iron Oxide, Mica.

Natural Mascara from Suncoat. Vegan, biodegradable, and sugar-based, this looks like a good one. Ingredients: Aqua (water), kaolin clay, vegetable glycerin, hydrolyzed Zee mays (corn) starch (natural sugar-based biopolymer), lecithin, Citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract, tocopherol (vitamin E), citric acid, pigments

Purebrow Mascara from Jane Iredale. Hypoallergenic, mild and conditioning formula containing no lacquer, shellac or petroleum. productsIngredients: Water/Eau/Aqua; PVP; Glycerin; Glyceryl Polymethacrylate; Carbomer; Panthenol; Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract; Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein; Algae Extract; Vanilla Tahitensis Fruit Extract; Prunus Amygadalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Extract.

Volume Mascara from Dr. Hauschka Skin Care. Expensive stuff, but very popular and available at most natural health stores. Ingredients: Water/Aqua, Pyrus Cydonia (Quince) Seed Extract, Alcohol, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Sorbitol, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Acacia Senegal Gum, Cetearyl Alcohol, Beeswax/Cera Flava, Mica, Camellia Sinensis (Black Tea) Leaf Extract, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Leaf Extract, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Lysolecithin (Hydrolyzed Lecithin), Euphrasia Officinalis (Eyebright) Extract, Silk/Serica Powder, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil (Jojoba Wax), Rosa Damascena Flower Oil (Rose Essential Oil), Rosa Damascena (Rose) Flower Wax, Fragrance/Parfum (Essential Oil), Citronellol, Geraniol, Linalool, Hectorite, Maltodextrin, Ferric Ferrocyanide/CI77510, Carmine/CI 75470, Silica, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide/CI 77891, Ultramarines/CI 77007

So, what else is out there that you use? If it’s something else that is safe and paraben-free that I missed, please let me know in the comments so other readers can check them out. Thanks!

Green PolkaDot Box
Filed in: Responsible • Tags: ,

1. shayna says:

hi~

i have been searching for safe products and have found a line of skincare products that i’m giving a try – lavera – http://www.lavera.com . i know they have mascara and from looking at the ingredient list it seems safe to me. i also use the skin deep website to get information about ingredients and safety ratings. http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com .

hope this is helpful to other readers.

p.s. they also have a line of sunscreen

2. linda says:

I have been using Lavera for several years now. I love all the Trend makeup products. They are great for sensitive skin. Just a note though, the mascara is not water or tear proof, but much longer lasting than the Suncoat brand.

I recently purchased the Suncoat product. I loved the fact that it is vegan and there is no wax in it, but again it is definitely not water proof. Also it is sort of sticky when you first put it on, but the color is nice and it looks great! My .02 experience.

3. Allie says:

I use Lavera eyeliner and Honeybee Gardens mascara and they are both better than the conventional brands of makeup I used before. It’s awesome.

4. Allie says:

Oh! And I just got some Jane Iredale lip gloss that is FANTASTIC!

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys. Glad to see some people can vouch for the companies!

6. Kim says:

Zuzu mascara is my favorite, and it’s not very expensive.

7. Kim says:

Zuzu mascara is my favorite, and it’s not very expensive. I wear contacts, and it doesn’t cause any problems, i.e. flaking, smearing, etc. It’s excellent!

8. Hypoallergenic Skin Care says:

That was a great post. I will have to bookmark this site so I can read more later.

9. Laurie says:

I have been using Afterglow Cosmetics pure soul mascara. Another thing to watch out for is alcohol. I found alcohol to be a 2nd or 3rd ingredient in most organic and natural mascaras. The reasons for avoiding it is that it makes eyes water and stings if it happens to get it in your eyes. I definitely try to avoid irritating my peepers and Afterglow’s mascara is totally alcohol free.

great blog I am subscribing. :)

10. J. Rose says:

Erth Minerals is another great one-stop shop for all-natural mineral makeup & skincare and they just recently announced the launch of their own 100% natural mascara.

11. jenni says:

What about Aveda mascara??? Don’t forget them!

12. Michael Skvortsov says:

Oh, that’s funny. There’s a Lancome mascara ad right in the middle of your article. Lancome mascara is one of the most deadly out there in terms of toxic chemicals.

• david says:

Michael – Google ads are context based, and because this is about makeup, that’s why the ad showed up. Sometimes they get pretty funny in their placement.

Renee – If that’s how you feel about the site, why are you reading it? Google ads are context based, unfortunately, and you don’t have full control over every single ad due to that fact.

13. Renee says:

Yeah, well, Lancome probably paid this guy to advertise on his article, and he’d rather have the money than actually believe in what he’s preaching.

14. jaime says:

i just did a tonne of research into this and came up with what i’m hoping is the best solution, at least for me, which is “100 Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara”. I’ve only tried it once, but it lengthens, it has an impressively natural ingredients list, smells divine, but does cost quite a bit (about $25). i think it’s worth it to find something so natural. oh, and it’s vegetarian!

15. A very handy list – thanks for posting this! Everything on the list looks great, except for Honeybee Gardens Mascara…it contains phenoxyethanol which can have many negative effects on the body.

According to the website, TruthinAging.com, “Phenoxyethanol is the new darling of the chemical industry and it is increasingly turning up in cosmetics as a preservative as an alternative to parabens. It only recently came to public attention in the US when the FDA issued a warning about its use in a cream, called Mommy Bliss, for nursing mothers. The FDA warned that phenoxyethanol can cause shut down of the central nervous system, vomiting and contact dermatitis.

“There are several animal studies that demonstrate that it is toxic – with effects on the brain and the nervous system – at moderate concentrations. In Japan, there is a concentration limit for its use in cosmetics. In Europe, the European Union classifies it as an irritant and there are various studies (on rabbit skin, for example) that demonstrate reactions at low doses.”

“The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) data sheets show chromosomal changes and genetic mutation effects in
    testing as well as testicular atrophy and interference with
    reproductivity in mice.”

Yikes :-( I’d advise folks to avoid any products with phenoxyethanol in it.