Blog Action Day 2008 – Poverty Around The World And At Home.

October 15, 2008

Today is Blog Action Day – a day where almost 9,000 9,400 bloggers around the world get together to write on one single topic in the hope of creating a new awareness. The topic this year is Poverty. And while I could write a thesis on the subject and how its impact is felt around the world by both the poor and wealthy alike (in different ways), I wanted to talk about poverty as it relates to our current economic crisis here at home. I read a quote the other day that went as follows:

It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach. ~ Franklin Delano Roosevelt

That says so much doesn’t it? Here we have the bankers on Wall Street and the wealthiest Americans crying wolf, and the government jumps to attention to bail them out. Over 70% of the population did not want to fund this bailout because they knew it would do nothing for the regular people and only help out the banks and the wealthy. But Congress did it anyway, and is taking $700 billion of our tax dollars and “saving” the banks and CEO’s. However, each and every day in this country, there are people going hungry, children in failing schools, people living on the street, and 46 million without health insurance. Why is it that we don’t hear their cries? Why is it that there isn’t $700 billion to help these people? It is amazing to me that the wealthiest country on earth (well, up until maybe 2 weeks ago) cannot manage to come up with a few million or billion dollars to help those who need help each and every single day, but can manage to “find” $700+ billion to give to banks and CEO’s. I understand that a lot of people have been losing money in the market; I have lost quite a bit myself. And for those nearing retirement, these are scary times indeed. But the collapse is the fault of these banks and mortgage companies that got greedy, and now they are getting bailed out with our money. Poor people? Never mind them, we can’t hear them – we can ignore them completely. This goes on around the world on a daily basis, and just because you cannot see or hear them does not mean they doesn’t exist.

In honor of Blog Action Day 2008, I will be donating any and all advertising income from all my sites to Kiva.org, which is one of the world’s first person-to-person micro-lending websites, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs in the developing world. These entrepreneurs use their loans to start businesses that lift them and their communities out of poverty. If you would like to donate as well, please check out the Blog Action Day Lending Team.

Filed in: Money • Tags: ,

1. Allie says:

Thank you so much for your post! You inspired me to participate too.

2. thanks for using your blog and taking the time to raise awareness for the reality of poverty. good for you.

i hope it encourages your readers to donate to a charity of their choosing.

3. kouji haiku says:

it’s good of you to donate.

i love kiva. :) am currently unable to make a donation though, so i put up its banner on my blog (as well as that of freerice and goodsearch).

saw this post via the front page of blog action day. it’s great that you’re participating. :)

4. B. Wilde says:

I applaud you for your decision to donate the proceeds. You reminded me of a school of thought that some subscribe to in our country. I remember discussing it in graduate school. It is that some believe poverty is essential for the functioning of our economy. That is, in order to have the middle and upper classes, there has to be a lower. I believe this is nothing more than pure oppression. Thank you for taking a stance against poverty by way of your writing talents.

5. Trish says:

Thank you so much for this post, your donation and for you commitment to the cause of ending poverty! While I”™m not an economist, I have to agree that funds ”“ internationally and domestically ”“ are often misdirected and not always used most effectually. I work for an organization called Millennium Promise, dedicated to achieving the eight Millennium Development Goals in sub-Saharan Africa by giving rural communities self-sustainable. If you are looking for more information on global poverty, including how our generation can achieve the Millennium Development Goals and put an end to extreme poverty, hunger and preventable disease, you should check us out.

6. Alexis says:

The $700 billion bailout has done many things, for me, it has put things into perspective. Although it would be nice, we can’t expect the government to step in and end poverty. We need to each do our part to make a difference. There are millions out there living without the things many of us take for granted, everyone needs to help. That doesn’t necessarily mean you need to spend money. If your budgets tight you can always donate blankets, your time, food, etc. Today is about building awareness and taking action, even the little things you do bring help to someone who needs it.

I work for a non-profit organization that provides computers, information, training, and community outreach to those in poverty. We try to give people the resources they need to succeed in the workforce and start ending the cycle of poverty in the US and around the world.

7. Jairo says:

man, this post is really good, but i will like you to send one to all the countries and in many languajes, because here in mexico (i don´t know if you have ever been here) you see a kid selling candy or doing tricks to earn some money, and i will like people to understand that they have the future of this world on their hands and how important is to educate them and just give them a disent way of living.

thanks 4 everything u are doing