President Barack Obama.

November 5, 2008

This is the America that I want other nations to know. The America that overcomes, that comes together, that takes part in their own democracy. For 8 long years our standing in the world has slowly fallen to levels not before seen – but no more. We the people spoke and we spoke loudly that we are ready for a change in direction.

Yes. We. Did.

We all don’t agree on everything and we never will. But I think we can all agree on one thing, and that is that we all witnessed a truly historical event last evening. My wife and I were glued to the TV for about 7 hours last night and oftentimes we had nothing to say – we were blown away by the enthusiasm of the people in the street, in the churches, in the bars, and in Grant Park in Chicago. Millions of people cared again after becoming complacent about their own country. No more. If last night showed anything, it showed that we are ready to act. Ready to end this war that should not have been fought in the first place. Ready to help all of our citizens and not just the wealthy. Ready to move forward with a renewable energy policy that will both create jobs but also help to slowly wean us off oil. It’s a long road – but one I am willing to walk down.

Yes. We. Did.

The excitement felt around the world last night as state after state was filled in blue was unmistakable. From places as far away as Kenya to Ireland and London, people were nervously awaiting the results of our election…that’s how big the stakes were last night. For about 2 years we have been working towards this day when we can feel hope again. After 8 years of the current administration, multiple wars around the world, financial collapse, a stagnant economy, job losses, rising costs, and more people falling into poverty, it would have been easy to give up. But we didn’t.

The first election I voted in was for Bill Clinton in 1992, and I have never cared about politics as much as I have this time around. We gave a bunch of money, spent time at the Obama headquarters here in Taos, and worked the phone banks- we truly, truly wanted to participate this time. And so did millions of other Americans, who gave up their free time to work to get President Obama elected. That’s how important this election was.

Yes. We. Did.

I leave you with this – like I said earlier, we all might not agree on everything. And that’s OK, as that is what a democracy is all about. But the more you participate in that democracy, the more of a voice you will have. So agree or disagree, when you participate, you don’t lose.

Congratulations to President Barack Obama for both breaking down some walls and bringing hope back to America.

So what does this election mean to you? How are you feeling today? Let’s discuss in the comments….

Filed in: Politics • Tags:

1. NatureMom says:

Beautiful! I am so happy that Obama won because he represents inclusion as opposed to exclusion and right now we need to unite as a country and fix our problems. The amazing response from all over the entire planet shows we did the right thing.

2. FFB says:

Hopefully this gets the racial barrier out of the way. Obama is the first president of color. I hope future candidates can now be judged not by their color, race, or gender but by their experience and quality. A lot of this is in Obama’s hands now. What he does in the next 4 years will write history’s books. He has a democratic House and Senate this year and as such has an opportunity to make a lot of change. This first year will set the tone for those that follow.

3. Heather says:

Beautiful post for a beautiful night- we have hope, now let’s work to make it more than hope!

4. Hi Dave – I’m kind of in shock – I wanted this so much and can’t believe it’s real.

I voted early yesterday and was nervous and edgy all day. I couldn’t focus and shouldn’t have gone to work. And I stayed that way until Ohio was called for Obama and then I knew he was going to win and I was able to relax.

West Philadelphia went nuts. People were outside screaming Obama, cheering, and banging on pots and pans. All the cars were honking and even the trolleys and buses were blaring on their horns. It was amazing to see such a response to a Presidential Election. I’ve seen nothing like this in my lifetime.

My daughter was born in 2002 so Bush has been President her entire life. I hope for something better for her now. And I look at her and am amazed that to her it won’t be unusual for an African-American to be President.

I’m filled with hope and know that we have so much work to do. I am also really really exhausted today :-)

5. MamaGoesGreen says:

Although I am not fully on board with all of Obama’s policies, I do believe that if we work together we can make this country a better place. I just hope we can get past the animosity on *both* sides. I was officially a third party voter for the first time, and found it amazing that Obama supporters could call people “stupid” who didn’t believe his policies were the best for the country, and appalling that McCain supporters were sending emails defaming Obama and using guilt by association attacks. I am hopeful that change will mean more freedoms and liberties, and more inclusion in the democratic process.

6. Shanna says:

I’m glad it’s over, finally over. We did make the right choice – the most beautiful part of the whole thing is that it shows that given the right leadership, we can come togher and do great things. Now, it is up to us, to keep the momentum going.

7. fern says:

he has a herculean task ahead of him. He needs our support and our patience in the years ahead.

8. sampsa says:

Nice post. I feel like I can breath again. I was really worried about the outcome of the election. Today I’ve been two feet above the ground with a big smile on my face! Thank you very much.

Yes you can!

It’s not easy but you will get there. This is only the beginning. America is back!

Great comments guys, thanks for taking the time to voice your thoughts on this historic election.

10. Rene says:

Here! Here! Americans really blew me away last night, just when I’d given up hope that there was any intelligence left in the general public. I am awestruck.

We can’t wait to see what kinds of community / economic development programs Obama’s administration will implement. We are rolling up our sleeves and getting ready to get dirty and pitch in.

Let’s continue the momentum, people!

11. brighteyes says:

I am very excited about our new president. I think that this is the change that we all need as Americans. I think that people should focus less on the color of his skin and more on what changes he will make to make this country greater than ever before. We do understand that this isn’t going to be an easy task so we should all put our differences aside and move forward with the expectancy of change and greatness. God bless Obama and his family and God bless America.

12. brighteyes says:

I am very excited about our new President! This is the change that we as Americans need to make this country even better than before. This isn’t just about black or white this is for all mankind. We should focus less on the color of his skin and focus more on what changes he will make to get us to where we need to be as a nation. We all know this won’t be an easy task and we all need to come together as one and go in this with the expectancy of greatness. God bless President Obama and his family! God bless America!

13. Paola says:

I’m glad the election is over however, I don’t share the same feelings of excitement on our new president.

14. I’m so excited about this election. I think President Obama (!!!!!) is such an intelligent thoughtful person that he will do much to help turn our country around. However, to paraphrase what he said: we don’t have change yet- we only have the opportunity to work for change. So let’s keep going and make our country better than ever!

15. Michaela [holla] says:

yay! obama won, so for all ya’ll that wanted
    McCain, ya’ll losers for supporting him!

16. fern says:

McCain supporters weren’t losers, they just voted for the wrong man.

It doesn’t do any good to wave McCain’s loss in the faces of those who voted for him. Tht’s ust antagonistic. Now is the time to echo the oft-repeated words of Obama and bring everyone into the fold. We need the support of everyone if he is to achieve his goals.