Reduce, Reuse & Recycle – Turning An Old Window Into A New Mirror Part 2.

February 5, 2009

About a month ago, I wrote about how I was turning an old window into a new mirror for our house – and it’s finally done! After much chipping, sanding, and painting, and having a piece of mirror cut for it, I can honestly say that I am pretty happy with the outcome. Not sure where in the house it’s going to be hung, so for now I keep trying it in different places. This is what it looked like as I was scraping all the junk off of it:

And this is what it looks like now:

Yes, that’s the ceiling reflected in the mirror

Yep, yours truly

The bottom pane is still glass, as I am planning on using it as a picture frame once I decide where it is going to be hung up. I am pretty psyched that I was able to take something that someone else had discarded and turn it into a nice piece. Never look past something thrown away without thinking if you can use it! And by using that color blue in our house, we have officially joined the ranks of the New Mexicans!

Green PolkaDot Box
Filed in: Recycling • Tags: , ,

1. Allie says:

That is really cool! I love it!

2. Dawn says:

That is awesome- job well done!

Thanks Guys!

I am sure it looked great; I know I am happy that this one turned out so well!

5. Great looking mirror and even better that you were able to reuse something already in existence. We did a similar project several years ago when we lived in a house without a window above the kitchen sink. We found an old 8 pane window at the dump, cleaned it up, and put mirrors in each of the panes. We hung it over the sink and it looked really cool.

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun!

7. You did an awesome job turning this into a beautiful piece! Considering where it came from and how hard you must have worked on it, looks like you just made a family heirloom :)

8. That is beautiful and inspiring! Another idea: I once salvaged on old window and turned it into a coffee table by cleaning it up, painting it and buying table legs at a hardware store.

9. Put a painting or other artwork in the small side (make that the top) and you’ll have a replica Trumeau mirror. Very chic!

Interesting idea, thanks!

If it already has the mirror, you are one step ahead of where I was. Clean it up and prop it against the wall in a bath or guest room. New (old) floor length mirror!

12. kathy says:

cool love it-what can i make out of a old chiffarobe mirror door? got any ideas??