Greenwash Of The Week: Domino’s & Green Graffiti.

July 15, 2009 6 Comments

In what is being called an “environmentally-friendly” marketing campaign, Domino’s and Green Graffiti have teamed up to graffiti Domino’s logos, with the help of a high-pressure water sprayer, in the dirt on the sidewalk around L.A., Philly & NYC.

“This is different because GreenGraffiti cleans part of the sidewalk and leaves ads behind,” said Tim McIntyre, spokesperson for Domino’s Pizza. “At first glance, it appears that something’s been painted onto the sidewalks. In reality, we’re just removing dirt and leaving ads behind. Domino’s is one of the first companies to use GreenGraffiti in the U.S. and has added the unique twist of an old-fashioned scavenger hunt for our consumers to have a little fun.”

However…Anyone else see something wrong with calling this an environmentally-friendly campaign? While the Green Graffiti company claims to help poor people in Brazil with rainwater harvesting and education, which is great, nowhere on their website does it say that they are using reclaimed or grey water to spray the sidewalks with throughout the cities. So from what I have been able to tell, they head out in the middle of the night and spray ads/graffiti on our sidewalks to try to sell us stuff – with fresh potable water. There really isn’t anything green about it, if you ask me. What do you think?

Filed in: Greenwash • Tags:

1. Matt says:

That definitely doesn’t sound green. Spraying ads onto sidewalks using unrecycled water isn’t green. And are they just spraying down the sidewalks, pushing everything into the sewers which just ends up in bodies of water?

2. nan fischer says:

It irritates me to no end when people are cleaning sidewalks and driveways with a hose or even an electric blower. GET A BROOM!

3. @AllieKosela says:

I agree with Matt on this one. Where does the water come from and where does the “dirt” get deposited? Maybe they should try sweeping (good call Nan).

Does anyone know how well their work in Brazil is going? Seems like they have an initial good idea that needs a bit of tweaking before it becomes great (and truly green).

4. Richard says:

This might not be a perfectly “green” method, but at least it’s step in the right direction.

5. Lilly says:

I agree with Richard, I guess it is better to try and make so effort that to not try at all. I have made a few lifestyle changes to try and do my bit. I now send greeting cards on line rather than expensive ones from the shops, I recycle everything I can, and either walk or cycle to work, (if this is not possible due to the weather, I will share lifts instead. Hope this helps, does anyone else have anymore ideas to share?

6. JD says:

While I agree with the original posting – that “gray or re-cycled” water would be best, and maybe that’s something these guys can work towards. But don’t forget that what they are “not” doing is printing thousands of posters or banners that would otherwise wind up in land fills, etc. Come to think of it, the inks used in commercial printing are pretty nasty stuff too, and they’re eliminating those too. I give Greengraffiti major props for thinking different. Their method is absolutely a better alternative to traditional outdoor advertising. Think about it… They’re cleaning a message out of existing urban grime. As far as I’m concerned, that’s pretty cool.