Tom’s Of Maine Has A Natural Deodorant That Works.

October 6, 2009

Over the years I have tried a zillion different natural deodorants from different companies in a vain attempt to get away from the aluminum that is in most name-brand formulas.

The best one I could find that “mostly” worked was one from Tom’s of Maine, but it still didn’t last all day long – but it was what I ended up using on a regular basis anyway because it was natural and didn’t contain aluminum. And by chance, right as I was running out, the people at Tom’s contacted me and asked if I wanted to try out their “new and improved” deodorant which supposedly was clinically proven to work for 24 hours. I doubted it to be true, but who am I to turn down a free stick of deodorant from the company I already use? So I accepted, and here is what I found out.

It actually works.

Their new deodorant is 100% vegetable-based, packaged in a 100% recyclable container that is made from 40% recycled plastic, and is free of aluminum, parabens and propylene-glycol – all biggies for me. I looked up the ingredients to see exactly how this stuff worked, and found that it provides odor protection through the “antimicrobial action of the botanical ingredient hops (Humulus lupulus) and zinc ricinoleate. The zinc source is from zinc oxide and ricinoleic acid is from castor seed oil”, whatever all that means. And whatever they did to make this stuff, it actually works way better than their previous deodorant that I have been using for a while, so that makes me pretty happy. My only bone to pick with Tom’s of Maine?

They are owned by Colgate-Palmolive.

I wasn’t too thrilled when they sold to them back in 2006, but so far so good – they have stayed true to their product quality. But then again, what small natural company these days isn’t owned by a huge conglomerate? Not many. However they want to make it happen, if Tom’s continues to make products like this one and nothing comes to the market that works better for me, I will continue to buy it. I can honestly recommend this new deodorant from them, as it actually works as well as the toxic stuff I used to use.

Filed in: Responsible • Tags:

It works? Nice! Might have to try that one too, good idea Matt!

2. Matt Jabs says:

Oh my word… tell me about it! I can’t tell you how many times I have spent $6+ on “natural deodorant” only to have “natural B.O.” 30 minutes later. :-) Glad they finally made something that works.

Here’s what I did about 5 months back:

Bought a bottle of 99% rubbing alcohol and a 3oz. spray bottle – filled it w/the alcohol and spray it directly on me pits every morning. I reapply when I get home from work about 10 hours later… it works and is so cheap it’s basically free.

Cheers!

3. dan says:

Thanks for pointing out that they are owned by Colgate-Palmolive, because it’s important to know how damaging a company like that is to the environment:

It’s a real shame because the “original” Tom’s Of Maine was a phenomenal company and I supported them for a decade before they became “partners” with C-P.

4. Meg says:

I just hate how much packaging goes into a stick like that. I’ve been using a salt crystal deodorant and it seems to work just fine.

And yes, I know that they are aluminum salts. Supposedly, they are a different kind that is too big to even enter pores. If anyone hears differently from a reputable source, please let me know, but till then I’ll keep using it because it’s low on packaging, works, and seems to last for next to forever (which also makes it VERY cheap over the long run).

5. laura says:

I will have to try the New formula out. I am an active person so I never found a natural deodorant that would work well enough for me to use.

It would be great if this really does work well enough for me as I am getting very concerned with the aluminum contents of others

6. Dawn/FFL says:

What kind of rigorous testing did you put deodorant through? Just curious :D

• david says:

Ran 3 marathons and then shoveled out my entire backyard. Wait, no I didn’t – I just did my everyday stuff. Sorry. :)

7. Kathryn says:

I had allergic reactions to almost everything i tried once i switched to “natural.” That included the mineral stone & lavender. I was miserable. I used to use tea tree oil. Tried tea tree alone & by the end of the day i was smelly. I finally hit on using a natural, zinc-based diaper cream & it works well for me. Sometimes i add a drop of essential oil as well.

8. Cindy says:

Baking soda works amazingly. Dampen some and apply. My sister was using this for a year before I tried it since I simply did not believe it could work but it is totally effective. Maybe one or two days of the most stressful sort showed through by the next day. No deodorant has ever worked as well for me, natural or non-natural.

9. Lisa says:

May I ask you which of the Tom’s deodorants you tried? There are a number of them. Thanks so much