You could go to the store and buy a whole bunch of toxic air fresheners, laundry detergents, cleaning supplies, or personal care products…but why would you? Using natural essential oils in place of some of those products is better for you and the planet, so it’s a no-brainer!
Here are a few ways to use natural essential oils at home instead of products containing chemicals. If you have your own recipes and/or uses, please let us know about them in the comments!
- Instead of scented laundry detergent, put a few drops of an essential oil onto a small cloth and put it in the dryer with the clothes.
- Stinky shoes? Put a drop of anything smelling better than your shoes, into your shoes!
- Is it fall yet? Add clove oil to a simmering pot of water.
- Mix a favorite oil and water in a spray bottle to make a non-toxic air freshener.
- Ease headaches by rubbing Lavender essential oil onto your neck or your temples.
- Deodorize your carpet with baking soda and your favorite essential oil. Add a few drops to a box of baking soda and sprinkle on the carpet. Wait an hour or 2 and then vacuum the carpet.
- Mix white vinegar with a few drops of oil for a homemade cleaner.
- Citronella oil makes an amazing mosquito repellent. Add to existing candles to keep them away.
- Tea tree oil mixed with water does a great job of cleaning windows and mirrors.
What would you add to the list?