The First Bottled-Water Ban In The World Is In Bundanoon, Australia.

October 19, 2009

Whoo-hoo! The first town-wide ban of bottled water is in a tiny little town called Bundanoon, Australia. With only about 2,000 residents it will only have a small impact locally, but it could have big repercussions around the rest of the world. Cities like San Francisco and NY have passed ordinances banning their governments from buying water bottled in plastic, but Bundanoon is the first town to do so. While we are learning and spreading the reasons to stop drinking and buying bottled water right away, Bundanoon is definitely showing the rest of the world a real commitment to action!

Stores are prohibited from selling bottled water and local business will refill any reusable water bottles for free. The town will also be installing water fountains on Main Street to encourage locals to drink the tap water. This just keeps getting better! From the Telegraph in the UK:

Huw Kingston, a local businessman and organiser, said almost 400 people turned up to the Bundanoon Memorial Hall, with only two casting dissenting votes.

“It was the biggest ever turnout in the community here at Bundanoon – it’s overwhelming support,” he said. “We can now continue with our route of making Bundanoon Australia’s first bottled water-free town.

We here in the United States need to encourage our towns and cities to consider bans like this as well, as the environmental impact of all this plastic is only starting to show itself to us all. Get yourself a reusable bottle and stop the bottled water habit today.

Thank you to tiny Bundanoon, Australia for showing us the way on this!

Filed in: Environment • Tags: , ,

1. Nicola Quinn says:

That’s all very laudable though for that to work here they will need to improve the quality of the tap water, drastically.

Nicola

2. Greg says:

Getting rid of plastic bottles is a great idea. However, I don’t think we should be applauding a government (large or small) ban to keep people from using those bottles. Opening ourselves up for more laws to do our choosing for us isn’t the right course of action. Do the ends justify the means, when your right to choose is being removed? Where do you draw the line?

3. Thomas says:

Man I’m stoked to hear this. I just watched the Corporation the other day and am not happy about the threat of privatized water.

4. Carla says:

Though I agree we should stop the casual use/waste of bottled water, what should we use for our emergency kits in our homes and cars? Buy 30 reusable bottles? I don’t use bottled water casually but I do keep a case of it in my “earthquake” kit and several bottles in my car.

• david says:

Carla, I store my emergency water in 5 gallon plastic jugs too. The goal, really, is to stop the day to day use of small plastic water containers that get thrown out after 1 use.

5. Canada Guy says:

We all know disposable water bottles are wasteful and bad for the environment, yet their production is growing rapidly everywhere. Just 20 years ago the market for plastic water bottles was practically nonexistent, but today we produce billions of these completely unnecessary products. There can be only one sane response, plastic water bottles must be banned!

Good start by Bundanoon, now go national!