This giveaway has ended.
A few months ago I was sent a copy of the book How to Be an Everyday Philanthropist: 330 Ways to Make a Difference in Your Home, Community, and World – at No Cost! by Nicole Bouchard Boles, but with the move to Denver and my 3 week holiday, I just got around to checking it out this week. And what an amazing book it is…
The book is basically a guide that offers 330 direct ways to make a difference in the world today, be it in your community or around the world. Everything that Ms. Boles talks about in the book can be done without spending a dime and by using some of the skills you may already have available at your disposal. Have an old pair of sneakers lying around the house? Nike’s Reuse-a-Shoe program will recycle them into safe playground surfaces. Getting rid of that old cell phone? Call to Protect will refurbish it as an emergency lifeline for abused women. Save your breast milk for premature or critically ill babies in need. You get the drift. The book is full of hundreds of ways you can be a philanthropist to the world without cost, which I would imagine could encourage more people to do so.
“This timely manifesto will serve as a wonderful reminder that everyone can and should try to make a difference. It will inspire confidence that we can help make our world a better place.” –President Jimmy Carter
The book is based on three basic tenants:
1) not every giving opportunity calls for money
2) you can make a difference in 15 minutes or less
3) small changes can lead to big results
This book is going to be on my bookshelf for a very, very long time, and I have already started marking the pages of the things I want to begin doing asap. After reading about the people who are really making a difference in our world, I know I have to do more with my free time. There are many people who need help, and those of us who are capable should be offering it. I highly recommend you buy this book and give it a place in your home. And for a lucky few of you, I was provided 3 extra copies to give away!
The giveaway will be open until January 25th, 2010 at 7am MST, and here are the rules and how to enter:
- To enter, please leave a comment (with a valid email address, so we can contact you) as to why you would like to win the book
- Only one entry per person. Period. Please don’t try to use different email addresses, etc, as the IP numbers will be checked.
- Entries must be from residents from the U.S. or Canada
- Books will be sent directly from the publisher to a valid address via their choice of shippers
- 3 Winners will be chosen at random from all eligible entries received
Good luck everyone! And if you don’t win, I still suggest you check the book out – it’s great.
This giveaway has ended.