Don’t just toss those used coffee grounds in the trash after you’ve enjoyed a cup – they have many more uses before being thrown out! While a cup of coffee (or 3) in the morning is great, the used coffee grounds can serve many more purposes around your house after giving you your morning jolt of caffeine. After you grind your coffee beans and make your coffee, here are 16 ways to reuse old coffee grounds that you may find quite useful (or surprising, as I did), but please do leave comments if you have more that I didn’t list. Sometimes the simplest leftovers can be incredibly useful!
1. Deodorizer – You can put them in a bowl in your refrigerator or use them to get rid of food smells on your hands.
2. Furniture scratch fix – A little water and some coffee grounds makes some nice brown stain for your scratched furniture legs.
3. Fertilizer – Your plants will love this addition to their soil, whether in ground format or made into a “tea” spray.
4. Worm food – No, not for the worms living out in your yard. But the ones in your worm-bin composter will love some coffee grounds!
5. Insect repellant – Tired of bugs making their way into your house? Try sprinkling coffee grounds around the cracks in your foundation.
6. Skin exfoliant – Not that I’ve ever tried, but you may want to try lightly massaging some dried grounds onto your skin to exfoliate!
7. Easter egg dye – Sure, they won’t be pink or blue, but they will be dyed a lovely shade of brown.
8. Shoe Deodorizer – Yep, dried grounds help to deodorize your stinky shoes.
9. Pet Groomer – Mix coffee grounds with water and you have a nice grooming solution that leaves Fido’s hair shining bright.
10. Household cleaner – Just like the use as a skin exfoliant, they can also be used as an abrasive cleaning solution around the house.
11. Ash reducer – Sprinkle some wet coffee grounds on fireplace ashes before you shovel them out to reduce ash flyaway.
12. Cat repellent – Neighborhood cats using your garden as a private bathroom? Coffee grounds can help keep them away (and of course, fertilize the garden too).
13. Pet flea dip – Dried coffee grounds can help kill off fleas.
14. Kitchen drain odor remover – Boiling water and coffee grounds help to get rid of stinky odors.
15. Add shine to your hair – When washing your hair, massage some grounds through your hair.
16. Great compost addition – Add to compost piles/bins to help balance pH. If you use paper filters, they can also go in the compost bin.
What uses for coffee grounds would you add to the list?
Photo from Shutterstock
Copyright © 2002-2013. All rights reserved