Name Brand Companies Making Paraben-Free Skin Care Products.

August 16, 2011 49 Comments

If the ingredient list on your skin care product includes the words methylparaben, propylparaben, or butylparaben, it’s time for you to switch to a safer, less toxic product. Back in 2007 I wrote a post titled What Are Parabens And Why Should You Avoid Them and the reasons I listed back then still apply today. Parabens mimic the hormone estrogen which is known to play a role in the development of breast cancers, can bring on early puberty, and can lower sperm counts, affecting the male reproductive system. Doesn’t sound like anything I want to mess with. They can be found in skin care products ranging from shampoos and moisturizers to topical pharmaceuticals and toothpaste, and has also been found being used as a food additive. It’s actually in most products that are not specifically labeled “paraben-free.”

While you are out shopping for a safer, less toxic skin care product to replace the paraben-filled ones you have, keep in mind that natural and organic does not necessarily mean paraben-free or non-toxic. It should, but it doesn’t. I have assembled this list of name-brand companies that make paraben-free cosmetics, paraben-free shampoos, and other products for your perusal. Most of them are easy to find in common stores like Target or Whole Foods (and of course, online) and although I don’t advocate one brand or product over another, I do personally use products from Badger, Weleda, Dr. Bronner’s, and JASON.

When looking to purchase safer skin care products, you should always carefully read labels to avoid these 10 toxic ingredients, look for companies that have signed the Compact for Safe Cosmetics and have low toxicity scores at the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep database.

Do you have a favorite paraben-free product that wasn’t mentioned here? Be sure to let everyone know in the comments so they can check it out as well.

Filed in: toxic • Tags: , , , ,

1. Veronica says:

I Use Arbonne Products and they are all paraben-free

2. Kylie says:

Suki’s skincare line is amazing! I also like products by 100% Pure – they have some of the best (& most affordable) toxin-free makeup.

3. Leanna says:

I use Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant. It is both Paraben and Aluminum free. I originally switched to it cause the antiperspirant deodorants were causing me to break out in a rash. Once I made the switch I’ve had no problem.

• Yolanda says:

Hi Leanna,

I know this post is a bit dated but I just came across it today while browsing the internet. I’m not sure if you’re still using the Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant but I just wanted to comment that this is a major greenwashed product. It doesn’t contain parabens or aluminum but it is replaced with another similarly harmful, hormone disrupting chemical known as triclosan. Not a good product imho.

4. Gem says:

Original Sprout and Shea Moisture are great ones I found after I had my daughter!

5. TJ says:

I use melaleuca products and they are all paraben free. very reasonable are most of the products.

6. Y.S. says:

I’ve used California Baby products for my three little boys and they’re great & paraben-free but they’re expensive! Avon’s Tiny Tillia line also carries a paraben-free line and it’s much more affordable!

7. Steph says:

I just purchased a Vichy face cream that is paraben free.

8. Annette says:

Aveeno Active Naturals Skin Relief Moisturising Lotion proban free and great for dry skin especially eczema.

9. Dawn says:

What about Yves Rocher? I am not sure if they are paraben free. I used to use it about 20 years ago.

10. pamela says:

What about Beauty Without Cruelty body lotion? Yea or nay?

11. Lilly says:

My favourite products are from ORIGINS! Particularly recommended for greenies and vegans :) No animal testing, paraben-free, all organic and they use recycled packaging.

12. Dawn says:

What about the Yes to Carrots line? There are four different kinds so are any of those good? If not, out of the ones you mentioned above, what would be the best for the skin and not too costly? Thank You

13. viv b says:

I use Akin products they are really good the skin cream around £20 but it lasts. Also Jane Iredale mineral powder is paraben free.

14. Melissa says:

Down under Naturals shampoo and conditioner are paraben free

15. Ila says:

I use lass naturals which is also chemical and paraben free. I also know about khadi to be chemical free.

16. Dreya says:

I know for a fact that some of nature’s gates deodorants have propylene glycol in it. This is another chemical that you need to watch out for and it’s in a surprising amount of body care products.
    here’s a link on it..

17. Gretel says:

I use body shop and aqua products are they paraben free?

18. Dana says:

EWG’s ratings tell you whether there is sufficient data or not and most of the brands lack in this regard. Unless the rating is “Fair” or higher I tend to disregard the information and do the research on my own.

Loved the site until I realized most of their data ratings were based on limited information. None-the-less it’s a good starting point.

19. Fiona McCauley says:

I am only just becoming aware of paraben free products after a recent spa facial treatment. I would like to name GADI 21 minerals. I use about six different facial products and although they may seem pricey, my healrh and well being are paramount.

20. anne carpenter says:

I use neals yard organic products.

21. Lauren says:

How do you feel about Arbonne products? They claim to be “paraben-free” but I am reading a lot of contradicting information online. They also have many ingredients that begin with “ethyl,” “methyl,” and “propyl,” which I have read could indicate paraben preservatives. Thanks!

22. Sharon says:

I use Cetaphil, unscented lotion. Is it paraben free?

23. Rhonda says:

How about Aveda products? I was told that about a year or two ago they went paraben free.

24. rola says:

I recently started using La Roche Posay face cleanser it says alcohol and paraben free on the bottle, what do you know about this brand? Does it contain other toxins since they are paraben free?

25. Tracy says:

Hi David,

Thank you for all your awesome information. Was wondering if ageLOC products are paraben free or toxic?

• David Quilty says:

Looks like many of them are paraben-free but definitely not free of toxins. Wow. So many chemical ingredients. ageLOC® Future Serum: Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Pentylene Glycol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Glycerin, HDI/ Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Isoceteth-20, 1-Methylhydantoin-2-Imide, Dimethicone, Salicin, Polysilicone- 11, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glucosamine HCl, Polysorbate 20, Sclerotium Gum, Equol, Hexapeptide-2, Sodium Hyaluronate, Polysorbate 80, Glyceryl Stearate, Decyl Glucoside, PEG-75 Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceteth-20, Steareth-20, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/ Beheneth-25 Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyltaurate, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol.

26. moe says:

how about Pacifica products. they seem to have a good philosophy and pretty clean ingredients…and they smell great!

27. Paris says:

Anyone know of a clean electrode gel or cream for using with exercise heart rate monitors that does not have parabens in it?