THIS GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED.
The Never Waste campaign was designed to help Americans change the way we think about water to make an impact on water challenges here in the US, and is being launched by the Alliance for Water Efficiency and communities nationwide. Using the water we already have more efficiently is the most cost-effective way to preserve water for future generations.
Why Reducing Water Waste is Important
- The U.S. population grows by one person every 15 seconds. The total water supply is finite. Human beings are highly creative, but we cannot create more water.
- At least 36 states are anticipating water shortages in 2013. We can’t sustain our way of life if we don’t use water more wisely.
- Much of the water we use is not consumed and escapes through leaks. The amount of water leaked from U.S. homes could exceed more than 1 trillion gallons annually, enough for Los Angeles, Chicago, and Miami.
- Saving water can help you save money. The average household spends over $950 per year on its water and sewer bill. A few simple changes could save about $300 per year.
- It also saves energy. Letting your faucet run for five minutes uses as much energy as letting a 60-watt bulb run for 14 hours.
Understanding how much water we waste becomes much easier when we can compare it to an everyday object. The Never Waste campaign features a water bottle that helps quantify the amount of water we waste on a daily basis. NeverWaste.org, offers consumers tips to help reduce water waste, such as fixing leaky appliances, turning off the faucet when possible and using water wisely outdoors. Consumers can also use a household water calculator to determine their water use and compare it with both water-efficient and average homes nearby.
And thanks to the good folks at Never Waste, readers of The Good Human now have a chance to win one of these reusable water bottles. What do you have to do to enter? There are a few simple rules:
- The giveaway starts now and will be open until Friday March 29 2013 at 7am EST. No entries will be accepted after that.
- Emailed entries will not be counted — entry by comment on this post only. Say whatever you want, just be sure to leave a comment!
- Only one entry per person. Period. Please don’t try to use different email addresses, etc.
- Entries must be from US residents.
- One winner will be chosen at random from all eligible entries received and notified via email after the giveaway ends.
Good luck and thanks to The Never Waste campaign and the Alliance for Water Efficiency for this giveaway!