Solar Energy Is Bad And Will Kill You.
Do you see what I did there? I used the same tactic as the ring-wing propaganda machine does to get you to notice them: I lied to you.
Of course solar energy is not bad for you: it’s clean, renewable energy delivered constantly from the sun. But that doesn’t stop me from saying it, does it? And we all know that if you say it, it must be true… at least that’s how a certain segment of our population thinks.
Let’s take a look at a few “facts” that have been passed around lately as newsworthy.
- Climate change doesn’t exist. Except, well, we know it does… and so do over 98 percent of all climate scientists. If you went to 100 doctors and asked them if you had cancer, and 98 percent of them said yes, would you seek treatment? Or would you believe the 2 percent and carry on your merry way? Thought so. But that doesn’t stop the brilliant minds on the right from making up their own “science.” Republican Congressman Joe Barton is on record as believing that “windmills will slow the wind down and make the wind hotter.” No joke.
- Gay people are pedophiles. Sadly, I haven’t heard this one just from the religious wackos and Conservatives; I have heard this from people I know. Personally. Gay people like people of the same sex, not children. Not sure how long we need to talk about this, but I would bet that you probably know someone who has this belief.
- Evolution isn’t real. Nope, we really were riding around on dinosaurs just a few thousand years ago. Didn’t you know that? I don’t care where you stand on religion, but faith does not equal science. Science is fact, faith is anything but. However, you still see elected officials – and textbook writers – trying to put creationism up for debate. Please, no.
- Obama has spent more than any other U.S. president. Not quite, everyone. Actually, with just a tiny amount of Internet searching, one can find out the truth: that President Obama has actually spent less than any president since Eisenhower. Forbes, which no one would argue is a leftist publication, published an article titled “Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It’s Barack Obama?” Please read it.
- Organic food is bad for you. I wish I could make some of these up, but I cannot. There have actually been “studies” that state that organic foods are bad for us. You choose: a tomato with pesticides or a tomato without. If they were both in front of you, which would you pick? That’s what I thought. Organic is not bad for you, can we please stop making things up?
- Women who are raped cannot get pregnant. I know you remember this one. After all, of course, it’s a fact. It’s proven. Right? According to Republican Scott Aikin it is, who said that “It seems to me, from what I understand . . .If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” Ayep. Sure thing, Scotty.
- Guns don’t kill people, people kill people. Bullshit. If people didn’t have guns, then people wouldn’t be able to kill people with guns. I am not opposed to the idea of handguns or single-shot hunting rifles, but when politicians and gun nuts equate an assault rifle to being just as dangerous as a credit card – “A holstered gun is not a deadly weapon… But anything can be used as a deadly weapon. A credit card can be used to cut somebody’s throat.” (Republican Dan Dumaine) – the insanity is too much to handle. Yes, many things can be used to kill people, I understand that. But no one needs an assault rifle; no one. And if anyone took the time to actually READ The Constitution, and talk to someone who understands it, they would learn that the Right to Bear Arms isn’t what it is made out to be by nuts. Seriously, look into it. Own a gun, I don’t care – but you cannot convince me you need an AK-47 to hunt deer. Crazy talk.
Let’s start calling out our elected officials – and other prominent folks – on the lying. It comes from both sides, but some of the craziest stuff comes from over there on the right, as they have a major problem with science. We cannot expect to advance as a nation or civilization if those with the power to spread messages are spreading falsehoods and inconsistencies. The fact that our media lets this stuff go, on a near constant basis, is a sad reminder that there is no longer any journalistic standard which news organizations adhere to. Not everyone knows the facts or spends hours a day researching them; they depend on the news to fill them in.
And when the news lets crazy people fill the airways with lies, well, we all lose in the long run.
Smiling salesman advertising a product at the television image from BigStock.