Oh, hypocrisy, how I loathe thee.
For whatever you believe to be your truth, the least you could do is actually believe it.
For all the talk lately from some Conservatives, Tea Partiers, and Libertarians about “keeping government out of our lives” and making sure we are all “self-regulated”, there sure are a lot of issues they try to force on the entire populace, such as…
- Trying to limit a woman’s individual right to make her own choices about her body.
- Fighting unionization. Recently, Republican politicians fought against unionizing at a proposed VW plant in Tennessee. Why they were getting involved with labor and a corporation is beyond me, it has nothing to do with them. Zero.
- Preventing access to birth control yet fighting for access to automatic machine guns.
- Stopping gay people from getting married, because The Bible. But still allowing divorce. Huh? The Bible states, in Mark 10:11-12, that “Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.” Divorcees are adulterers, according to the same book that supposedly outlaws gay marriage.
- Stopping gay people from seeing their partner in hospitals. Only straight people are allowed to be bedside in many states.
- Screaming and complaining about government spending but have no qualms with inserting their own overblown pet spending projects into spending bills.
- Saying the government shouldn’t help citizens in need but ok with spending trillions on military exercises all over the world, “helping” people.
- Wanting tighter Federal drug laws and generally against the legalization of marijuana, even for medical use.
- Accepting government-funded health care and benefits while loudly complaining about others having access to the same.
- Forcing doctors (in Wisconsin) to go through a series of hoops with a patient should a discussion about abortion be necessary.
- Implementing a law in Texas called “No Refusal” where law enforcement can draw your blood without your consent, to test for BAC levels. So much for freedom and independence.
- Wanting to keep the Christ in Christmas, yet refusing to live by or promote any of Jesus’ actual teachings.
One cannot say they believe in small or limited government when trying to use a position in government to force people to live as they do/follow their own moral rules. A true Conservative or Libertarian would not want (or stand for) ANY governmental intrusion into our personal lives. None. They would not accept a dime of tax money being spent on any pet projects, and they most assuredly would not want to stop gay people from getting married.
I don’t think anyone would say that government needs to be bigger, needs to spend more money, and needs to be more convoluted and confusing. It’s a mess, regardless of who the President is. And Democrats and Liberals alike also cause all sorts of problems and can be hypocrites as well. However, they DO want to keep the government out of our bedrooms, marriages, and our personal choices. The “say one thing do another” Conservatives in power today, on the other hand, screaming about the terrors of big government while enacting big government policies, make me sick.
If you are going to believe in something, believe in it. Live by it. Stick with it. Don’t tell constituents one thing, Fox News another, and then do something completely different yourself.
That all being said, we need to work to protect women’s rights, minority rights, religious rights, voters rights, LGBT rights, and worker rights. We need to ensure the environment is kept clean(ish), that companies and their behavior is regulated, and that the needy and underserved are taken care of. This is the progressive way. If you believe in Progressive ideals, please promote and work for progressive candidates. They need our support. Don’t get disgruntled, get involved. The future of the country depends on it.
Faceless man image from BigStock.