In 2012, 100 watt light bulbs were told to get lost. In 2013, 75 watt bulbs will join them in their demise.
On January 2, 2013, 75 watt incandescent light bulbs were banned in the U.S. as part of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. Whatever is left on store shelves and in warehouses can be sold, but once they’re gone, they’re gone – for good.
The Energy Independence and Security Act was signed into law by President George W. Bush as a method to move our nation towards energy independence and to meet his “Twenty in Ten” challenge goals to reduce gasoline consumption by 20% in 10 years. It was originally named the Clean Energy Act of 2007.
There are, as to be expected, quite a few people who aren’t happy that their favorite incandescent light bulbs won’t be sold in stores anymore. In fact, some people are hoarding them whenever they find them for sale. Government intervention, the taking away of rights, the fear of toxicity issues with CFLs – whatever the reason, incandescents are a hot-ticket item when on store shelves. This new ban, on 75 watt bulbs, should really get some blood boiling.
Not all is bad, though. By forcing the conversion to energy-efficient light bulbs we will:
One of the main concerns with CFL bulbs is that they each contain a small amount of mercury. Mercury can be toxic and you have to be careful not to break these bulbs in your home, but the danger has been widely overblown. Helen Suh MacIntosh is a professor in environmental health at Harvard University and had this to say about mercury in compact fluorescent bulbs:
A CFL containing 5 mg of mercury breaks in your child’s bedroom that has a volume of about 25 m3 (which corresponds to a medium-sized bedroom). The entire 5 mg of mercury vaporizes immediately (an unlikely occurrence), resulting in an airborne mercury concentration in this room of 0.2 mg/m3. This concentration will decrease with time, as air in the room leaves and is replaced by air from outside or from a different room. As a result, concentrations of mercury in the room will likely approach zero after about an hour or so. Under these relatively conservative assumptions, this level and duration of mercury exposure is not likely to be dangerous, as it is lower than the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standard of 0.05 mg/m3 of metallic mercury vapor averaged over eight hours.
Copyright © 2002-2013. All rights reserved