You’re probably aware of the fact that vitamins are good for you. Perhaps you take a supplement every day. But did you know that there are many other natural supplements that can boost your health and wellbeing?
David Glenn, in an excellent article on Mother Earth News, details seven of them. Here they are in summary:
- Choline – A nutrient that helps to promote a healthy nervous system and reduce liver fat. It also prompts the release of dopamine, which can increase feelings of satiety. Find it in eggs, chicken and fish.
- Refined coconut oil – Good for helping with cholesterol levels, heart disease and blood pressure. It can also help guard against cancer and diabetes. Need more reasons? Add healthy hair and skin to the list.
- Blueberries – Amongst many other nutrients blueberries contain anthocyanin, which is good for brain health. You only need a handful a day too!
- Iodine – A mineral that’s found in fish and that helps the body with hormone production. It will help keep your thyroid healthy and protect against aches and pains. Be careful when supplementing as too much can be harmful.
- Berberine – A type of salt that’s found in the kind of plants used in Chinese medicine. It is very good as a supplement to medication for diabetes (always consult a doctor).
- Garlic – I’m sure you’ll recognize this one! Garlic is stock full to overflowing with health-promoting nutrients. It helps to maintain healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels and also bolsters the immune system. It can also help fight the common cold. Take at least four cloves a day.
- Vitamin B – Essential for the health of the nervous system, vitamin B can be found in green vegetables and whole grains. It can also reduce the risk of stroke and Alzheimer’s.