OK, so the title of the article I am going to link to doesn’t actually have a lot to do with “taking the private jet to Copenhagen” but it sure is catchy…and somewhat true. Instead, the article does a great job of pointing out the greenwashing and greenpocrisy of well-known “green” celebrities. A few fantastic tidbits from this Greenwash of the Week article include:
– John Travolta notoriously encouraged the British public to do its bit to fight global warming , after flying into London on one of his five, yes, five private jets (one of which is a Boeing 707).
– Oprah Winfrey, who preaches eco-virtue from her TV pulpit, travelled in a 13-seat Gulfstream IV private jet for years.
– Perhaps more egregious, because she is a much more in-your-face global-warming campaigner, is Dame Trudie Styler, film financier and wife of Sting. Not only do she and her husband run seven homes and travel between them in private jets and a fleet of cars, but in 2007 an employment tribunal revealed Styler was furious when her pregnant chef refused to travel 100 miles to prepare some soup and salad.
– Tom Cruise , who has campaigned for the LA-based environmental group Earth Communications Office , also has an air fleet and a licence to pilot his five planes.
– U2’s latest world tour … produces the carbon equivalent of the annual emissions of 6,500 British homes , or a rocket trip to Mars and back.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The article also points out those eco-celebs who walk the walk, like Ed Begley Jr and Woody Harrelson, who are truly living green while preaching green. And while I have written many, many times about doing our best and how we aren’t as green as some think we are, it’s important to note that these people are multi, multi-millionaires and billionaires who could afford to do the right thing 100% of the time but instead choose not to – while telling us what we should be doing. That is a big greenwash.
Read the entire article at The Times Online in the UK.
Copyright © 2002-2013. All rights reserved