Greenwash Of The Week: Scott Green Naturals Paper Towels.


----------- Sponsored Links -----------
----------- Sponsored Links -----------

That’s Green Done Right” is the amazing greenwash slogan that Scott, AKA Kimberly-Clark, has chosen to trademark to describe their paper products – bath tissue, paper towels, napkins, etc. Their paper towels have, wait for it, a whopping 60% recycled paper fiber. Wow, how green of them! That leaves 40% virgin paper pulp in a product designed to clean up spills and pick up after your pet. Sounds like a proper use of felled trees to me.

While plenty of companies make their paper towels from 100% recycled paper fiber (Seventh Generation and Marcal come immediately to mind), Kimberly-Clark continues to cut down trees to provide paper towels for use around the home. Something in this equation doesn’t equal “green done right”, but maybe it’s just me. After all, it’s not like Kimberly-Clark has been the subject of the Greenwash of the Week before, right?

As an aside, I highly recommend you ditch the paper towels all together – I have a drawer full of rags that I use and wash each week that work just fine.

----------- Sponsored Links -----------
----------- Sponsored Links -----------


  1. Even fully recycled paper towels aren’t really the greenest option, though I keep a roll around to deal with the occasional cat vomit. Otherwise, it’s all about cloth!

  2. Agreed, paper towels are for cat hurl. I tear up old flannel sheets and cotton clothes that aren’t freebox-worthy. I’ve also picked up towels at the gym that have been in the lost and found a long time.

  3. Everybody knows that the longer, and less worn fibers of fresly pulped trees make for a stronger paper towel, especially when wet – that way you can… ummm… throw it away?

  4. There is a larger issue: BPA in recycled paper, particularly toilet paper (and also these paper towels). Receipts have surprisingly high levels of BPA because there is BPA in the thermal paper they are printed on. Receipts are recycled, and BPA therefore gets into anything made with recycled paper content. It’s a tragic shame, but until BPA is not in recycled toilet paper, I have decided to stop using it — because every time recycled toilet paper is flushed down the toilet, that means more BPA is being introduced into the waterways. The BPA in these paper towels still causes the original BPA in the receipts to continue cycling around…

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *