My wife wears contact lenses and orders them from 1-800-Contacts because it seems to be the least expensive option for whatever version she needs for her eyes. But a box of them just showed up the other day, and this is all that was in the box:
The box was huge and all that was in it was a few tiny boxes of contact lenses. 1-800-Contacts, what are you guys thinking? Using more packaging than necessary starts a compounding ball of environmental and financial issues rolling down a hill:
1. More cardboard is needed to make the bigger box.
2. Company has to spend more money to make the bigger box.
3. Company has to spend more money to ship the bigger box.
4. The US Postal Service has to do more shipments and use bigger trucks to move this stuff across the country.
5. The US Postal Service has to use more gas to move the bigger packages.
6. The US Postal Service has to spend more money to buy more trucks/pay employees, thus rates go up.
7. My mailman then cannot walk around the neighborhood as he has too many large packages to walk – he has to drive.
I can understand giant boxes for packages that require giant boxes…but I cannot understand the giant boxes for 2 small cases of contact lenses. Hopefully someday, someone over there will start to really consider the impact of their shipping habits!
Copyright © 2002-2013. All rights reserved