It’s easy for some of us to sit up on a throne and dictate all things green, but make no mistake about it – most of us are not so green as to think we are better than anyone else who is trying their best. (Save for No Impact Man, who may actually be the greenest person I know.) I get emails asking how I live so “green” all the time, and while I feel bad bursting their bubble, I have to tell the truth – I don’t and I can’t. I don’t live near as green a lifestyle as someone living in an off-the-grid house or someone who grows their own food; it’s just not a possibility for me at this point in my life. Maybe someday, but not today. And most everyone else who does the “green” thing for a living isn’t perfect either. As for my habits, well, chances are that I am just like most everyone else:
– I drive a non-hybrid car like most people
– I am a big car buff/nerd, and if only I had the money to buy what I wanted…
– I eat meat
– I buy my food at a grocery store, and some of it is NOT organic
– I forget my reusable mug and reusable bags sometimes
– My jeans are from the Gap, not some eco-friendly boutique where jeans cost $200
– I like electronic gadgets. A lot.
– I always have a roll of paper towels in my house
– I eat fast food from time to time (GASP!)
– I shop at Target, a big box store.
I try very hard to be as eco-conscious as I can be, but I don’t always succeed – and neither does any other environmental writer or commentator. We all have our vices, our slip-ups, our wants in life that supercede our environmental concerns. Some fly around the globe to check out “green” stuff, some smoke while talking about better eating habits, and others work for “non-green” companies at their day jobs. So when you start feeling like you aren’t doing enough or you cannot keep up with what you “should” be doing for the health of our planet and our people, keep this post in mind – we are doing the best we can, and we are always striving to do more, but we are not perfect. No one is.
All we ask is that you try your best too.
Photo from Shutterstock
Copyright © 2002-2013. All rights reserved