*Update – Eagle-eyed reader Christy read their press release on this product and in the second paragraph it actually states “From the toy blocks, highchair and pacifier to the dog bowl and toys, Clorox Anywhere Hard Surface daily sanitizing spray is powerful enough to give you peace of mind and gentle enough to use even when the kids are nearby.” Pacifier? You are supposed to spray this on something your baby sucks on all day? Amazing. Back to our regularly scheduled program, and thanks Christy!* I am seeing more and more of these ads on television promoting the use of a new product from Clorox called “Anywhere Hard Surface Sanitizing Spray”. Since they are showing families spraying it inside the fruit drawer in the fridge and coating the inside of their house with this stuff, I wanted to see what made it so “safe” to use anywhere and everywhere, as they were proclaiming. What did I find out?
It’s still made with bleach.
Granted, it’s a low amount, but the day that I start spraying my house with bleach, including the inside of my fridge, will be the day you should commit me. Why is this EVER a good idea? This new “safe” product has a pretty funny FAQ page on the Clorox site that basically keeps repeating the “non-porous surfaces only” mantra…but in case they didn’t know, many fruits and vegetables (and other foods) are quite porous…and they are advocating spraying this product everywhere food is stored. They even say that you don’t have to wipe the surfaces down after spraying!
Please please please do not fall for this marketing gimmick. The fact remains that this product is made from bleach, and you should not be using bleach anywhere your food is stored or used (Never mind anywhere else in your house). I wrote about the dangers of household bleach before and it really pains me to see more and more products being made with this incredibly toxic chemical in them.
7 thoughts on “Clorox Anywhere Sanitizing Spray – Made With Bleach, But Safe To Spray All Over Your House?”
Thank you for being one of the first intelligent Americans that does not buy the spoon feeding advertisements on television, and for actually trying to inform the general public of the actual ingredients.
I find it completely ridiculous that people would believe they could spray bleach on their food and not end up ill. Since when was it a good idea to spray your entire house with and not clean that surface after? This commercial also advocates spraying your child’s highchair with their product and not wiping it down after.
I sure am trying Anastacia…it’s a difficult road keeping up with all this crap! Thanks for the encouragement. 🙂
On pacifiers? That you stick in a baby’s mouth? What is wrong with these people…scary, huh?
On Clorox’s announcement site they mention top use it on pacifires as well, found in the second paragraph here… http://investors.thecloroxcompany.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=182216
Umm if you are dumb enough to drink bleach than yeah u will get sick however, bleach has been used for years to clean and remove most* bacterias.. Bleach is safe to use in moderation and givin that u don’t inhale it in large amounts or drink it or get in in your eyes or open cuts again it’s safe in moderation I’ve used it for years and so have many others that are still very much alive and well also bleach should be rinsed off with water
Your kid probably swallows more bleach in your average swimming pool then the amount from this spray. Many restaurants use a teaspoon of of bleach to a gallon of water when washing vegetables. The crud on your countertop left by a chicken or a badly butchered cow is a lot more dangerous than a drop of bleach diluted in some water like this product.
The military uses bleach in it’s drinking water when troops are deployed. Very low amounts, but enough to kill bacteria and viruses as the water is “sitting” in a water buffalo i.e., not flowing as a regular tap at home. Bleach, as stated above, is used in restaurants on tables to kill germs. It is absolutely safe if the right dilution is followed. You do realize chlorine ( bleach) is used in swimming pools, and city water treatment facilities. It evaporates quickly into mostly salt and water , which is why you need to keep it covered. (Bleach is sodium hypochlorite). Sure beats all the other manmade chemicals on the market or plant-based cleaners that clean but don’t sanitize. We don’t want to push bacteria around on our countertops, toilets and floors, we want to KILL them, don’t we?