What Is BHT And Why You Should Avoid It.

September 24, 2009

It’s time to discuss another toxic chemical in our food and skin care products, and this time we’re asking What is BHT? Butylated Hydroxytoluene, or BHT, is an anti-oxidant which reacts with oxygen free radicals to slow down the autoxidation rate of ingredients in a product that can cause changes in the taste or color. As such, it is primarily used to prevent fats in foods from becoming rancid – but it is also used in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, jet fuels, rubber, petroleum products, electrical transformer oil, and embalming fluid. Sure sounds like BHT is something that should definitely be in our food, right?

Dangers of BHT

Turns out this additive, used in all the above products, has a scary MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) that says the following:

• Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment.
  • Combustible.
  • Ingestion causes Abdominal pain. Confusion. Dizziness. Nausea. Vomiting.
  • The substance may have effects on the liver.
  • The substance is harmful to aquatic organisms.

That certainly makes BHT look even more appetizing to have in our food and in our cosmetics! The Skin Deep site rates BHT as having a “high hazard to high hazard depending on product usage” and says it has been shown to be linked to cancer, developmental toxicity, allergies, neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption, biochemical or cellular level changes. So what kind of products, other than our food (it is FDA approved for use in food), can BHT be found in?

Products Containing BHT

• Aveeno Baby Natural Protection Mineral Block Face Stick
  • Neutrogena Body Oil
  • CVS Beauty Bars Sensitive Skin
  • Neutrogena Liquid Facial Cleanser Fragrance Free
  • Revlon ColorStay Bronzer for the Face
  • Loreal Hip High Intensity Pigments
  • OLAY Daily Facials Deep Cleansing Cloths
  • Lubriderm Advanced Therapy Lotion Moisturizing Lotion

That’s a list of some pretty popular products, all of which require you to wonder what is BHT and why you should be avoiding it. Who wants to use a product or eat a food that has ingredients also used in jet fuels and embalming fluid? Before you buy a product, I highly suggest you check out lists like the one I referenced to see exactly what you are buying. BHT is bad news, and there are plenty of ways to avoid consuming it. Always do your homework before shopping!

Filed in: toxic • Tags: ,

1. nan fischer says:

I remember reading many years ago that the EDTA in mayonnaise is also used in powdered laundry detergent to keep it from getting clumps so it would flow easily. Barf.

• jessie says:

I just bought a box of Kellogg’s Cornflakes and noticed that there is BHT in the list of ingredients…..

• Stacy says:

Was just eating post shredded wheat which I have not had in a long time and thought it tasted funny so I checked the ingredient list because the only thing that should be in shredded wheat is “wheat” and I came across BHT in the packaging. That’s when I decided to research it and now it all makes sense. Why after all these years would they ruin such a good wholesome cereal.

• Csillagfeny says:

Kellogg’s GMOs too!Out of my home!Boycott on it!

• reanna says:

yeah i bought a box of wheat thins and i was just sitting and eating them and decided to look at the nutrition facts and it said pererved with BHT so i decided to look that up…. you can guess that my next action was folding the box back up and trashing it!

• Dee says:

That is why I am looking it up….. The Kellogg’s box don’t think I want my kids to eat BHT

• Valerie says:

I just found out that the gum I chew daily and all day.. Extra contains BHT… and how I found out is by using this incredible app which is available for iPhone & android:

Fooducate

It allows you to scan the bar code of the foods you eat and gives it a rating & a list of ingredients… the nice thing is, it gives you alternatives… AND really will “enlighten” you to what you are eating. I am in awe about my gum!!!

2. nan fischer says:

P.S. – Sorry, forgot to tell you great post!

3. Karla D. says:

Great post! I just decided to do a look up because I know BHT is in a lot of preserved meats and other products. I bought 2 bottles of Aveeno 30 sunblock and it was the FIRST ingredient!! Yikes! It works really well and I don’t get burned but I think I need to find another natural alternative.

Most natural sunscreens make your skin look white. lol. I’ve been trying to avoid this but I don’t want those chemicals on me or in me. Yuck! Back to the drawing board….

• brista says:

That’s because natural sunblocks contain zinc oxide which is what gives the white cast to your skin. I’d rather have that safe mineral on my skin and look a little too white than some of those other chemicals any day!

4. Juany G. says:

Great post and I didn’t know all that stuff about DEA’S, TEA, polyethylene, parabens bht’s its good to know so we can try to be more cautious about the stuff we use.

5. Jackie says:

I love your sarcasm, causes dizziness, nausea, vomiting if ingeste, hey let’s put it into food! Man, such stupidity would be unbelivable if I didn’t see it with my own eyes.

I reccomend cereals from health stores like Whole Foods, or Sunset. I believe all of Kashi’s cereals do not have BHT. I’d look at the ingredients list before buying it though.

You know, we should be glad that the companies are made to list these additives so we can avoid them. Also Raisin Bran appears to have no BHT, but it seems Kellogs uses HFCS, where Post uses Corn Syrup. I also want to mention again, to read the boxes because you never know unless it’s a health food brand cereal, if they’ll start using BHT. Like, between the time you buy the cereal, and later they might use it I dunno.

• Cyndi says:

The FDA doesn’t require small quantities BHA, BHT & TBHQ to be listed as an ingredient on food labels. Also, if the company uses shortening, oil, or any other ingredient containing these preservatives these do not have to be listed separately since it part of that specific ingredient. Please keep in mind these preservatives can be used on the inside of the packaging and not be listed as an ingredient; however, every time you shake your cereal out of its box, take a cookie out of a package, etc… you could be exposed yourself to these ingredients as well. Unfortunately, as consumers we are not provided this information that’s why you have you be diligent about the foods you consume if you want to avoid these ingredients.

• Rachel says:

I think that ANYTHING that is put into our food, should have to be listed in the ingredients. I don’t care how small of an amount it is. We have a right to know what it is we’re ingesting.

I love frosted mini wheats with the fruit filling. I ate a bowl of it last night, then decided to check out the ingredients. Freaking BHT is in it. Now I’m not going to buy that product anymore because of that. I mean, is BHT really that necessary? No!

• MJG says:

Actually it has been proven that Whole Foods sells GMO foods, whereas Trader Joe’s has banned all types of GMOs from their shelves.
      And contrary to popular belief, and the commercials, Kashi is all GMO

6. LA says:

I have cracked/split skin on my fingers during cold weather, so I bought OUTDOOR HANDS Skin Therapy Cream from Tractor Supply after hearing the commercials for it on the radio-it contains BHT(along with several other ingredients). I am now disposing of it! I used Toluene to clean aircraft parts, before they banned us using it anymore for its’ cancer links!

7. Jackie says:

“I used Toluene to clean aircraft parts, before they banned us using it anymore for its”™ cancer links!”

*headdesk infinity*

8. Tay says:

Its also found in Peanut Butter Captain Crunch. My once favorite cereal.

9. WhatsInOurFood says:

And this poison is in most chewing gum products in major stores here in the US. Fantastic. Seems like one of the only places to get some non-toxic gum is in Henry’s or Whole Foods. So creepy that the FDA would allow these BHT products to be sold on the market. I guess that’s what lobbying gets you….

10. OrganicPusher says:

I know I’m late to the party but… Someone mentioned Kashi not having this kind of preservative (BHT)in it. Even though that may be true (it may not) please remember Kashi is still a GMO food, they use genetically modified ingredients in every product, with the exception of there elusive organic products they say they sell, but I never see them in stores where I am. GMO’s & dangerous preservatives in foods also goes for many foods that you will find in your local Whole Foods market, and even health food store. A small example of this; my local health food store sells these gluten free muffins and rolls (sold as healthful) with corn syrup as the first ingredient, not to mention a bunch of other GMO laden products you can find in every aisle. In America (especially), if it is not organic (also some organic products are only partially organic and will say 2/3 organic and so on) or labeled Non-GMO then it is most likely genetically modified (and by GMO I do not mean plants that have been responsibly breeded with different varieties to create a new type over decades of cultivation). Please don’t buy GMO’s, these so called agricultural corporations not only control what you eat and grow, they also control all other areas of your life governed by politics & political greed. Don’t just buy organic for your health, buy organic for every living things future, be responsible.

11. OrganicPusher says:

Educate yourself about your food, it’s the most important thing you buy for yourself, your family, and your friends. & buy as much local food as you can. If more people shopped like that then organic food and locally grown food would be more affordable. I hate to stress this but in your average grocery store at least 95% of what is sold should not be considered edible. Start small if you have to, but at least start. & if you eat meat just eat less and try & buy from local farms, buy from responsible farmers who raise & slaughter their animals humanely. I know becoming vegan or vegetarian is not realistic for everyone, & telling people it should be just deters them from wanting to eat healthfully & mindfully.

• Laura says:

great post! On another note, I think that people need to understand the reason foods like corn are GMO is so they will live through the round-up pesticide and weed control sprayed all over them… Normal corn cannot.

12. Mika says:

I’m not going to say which personal medications I’m on, BUT, I found out just recently that this BHT shit has been added as a recently new ingredient in one of my prescriptions! The formula for the pills changed and my pharmacist told me this when I picked them up a few months ago, so I wouldn’t be surprised that my pills looked different all of a sudden, but; I didn’t think anything of it. Many of my medications have changed in appearence or size over the past ten years and never have I known it to be a dangerous thing! Ever since my pills changed I’ve been so sick every day I havn’t been able to stand it! I’ve been throwing up all day, diarhhea, gagging, and have had horrible headaches. I’ve gone to my doctor several times and she’s tested me for this and that but, still it’s all been inconclusive. I think I’ve found my answer. I only found out because, I ran accross this article and remembered the pamphlet that comes with my prescriptions every month identifying the change in ingredients in my pills. The active ingredient (the reason I take it.) is still the same but a whole slew of new (“inactive”.) ingredients are now in the pills that were never listed before. I can’t imagine WHY they would put this in them, but, I’m telling my Dr. RIGHT AWAY about this article and I’m doing more research on this horrible BHT stuff. I’m also going to research my prescription, and, see if other people are also, getting sick. This MUST be why I’ve been so terribly ill for months. I’ve been so worried and scared that something horrible was wrong with me. If I’ve gotten cancer or something from this toxic chemical I’m going to sue the pharmacuetacle company that makes my pills. What on EARTH is WRONG with the FDA?!?! food and drug administration my arse.

• Frustrated says:

Just found out Silver Centrum Chewables and Caltrate w/Vit. D Chewables has BHT in it and taking it forever and thinking it was good for me, great!! I have trouble taking big pills, so this is why I opted for chewables. Anyone have any advice for healthy alternatives, I have osteoporosis.

13. WTH says:

It is so aggravating trying to find a safe product for ourselves and our pets. I just bought a new bottle of MALIBU Tan Hemp Moisturizer because what I did read in the store sounded good. Got home and saw it has BHT in it also.

14. ld says:

I too just got my prescription for Retin A Micro Gel and it has BHT in it. So does all my breakfast cereals “for freshness.” I am disgusted at the FDA that is bought by these companies’ lobbists and FDA has NO POWER to ban these chemicals but can ONLY MAKE SUGGESTIONS to these corporations that make this poisonous crap. Unbelievable. LOOK up the FDA’s abilities and it is a joke. Educate yourself.

15. Kathy says:

Nabisco Wheat Thins “Stix” does not have BHT in the product apparently, but it lists, ‘BHT added to packaging material to preserve freshness’. There goes my favorite snack. Whether in it or in the packaging material, it cant be good either way.

16. CSD says:

I just watched “Food, Inc” – a documentary currently on the Wii Netflix menu.. if you haven’t seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it.. was absolutely horrified by it’s content, which is on par with all of your previous comments above. I did not realize that corn is the main ingredient in our foods (the meat we eat is now corn-fed, the majority of preservatives we ingest have a corn derivitive and our government is subsidizing these farmers to mass-produce corn). AND conveniently enough, the key figures at the FDA also happen to be have been key figures in the few major food companies that dominate the marketplace.. and I sure there is no bias there.. I nearly lost my son at 18 mos to E-Coli and subsequent H.U.S.. had no idea the increase in E-Coli cases was directly related to all the corn-feeding that goes on in the meat we buy (Food, Inc does a better job of explaining why – it has to do with the cows no longer having the ability to fight off the E-Coli bacteria that being grass fed allows for vs corn). AND, to combat this problem.. the meat packaging houses now add amonia to our meat to try and combat the E-Coli… it’s also amazing to me how we have to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford the healthy stuff yet the bad stuff is often available for $1.. why isn’t the government subsidizing the healthy food market??? Maybe because local growers don’t often have the funds to line their pockets… I got started on this whole rant because I looked at the ingredients in my favorite breakfast cereal (whole grain large shredded wheat by General Mills) and realized it contains BHT.. did a search and found this site… so thank you for the information on that fabulous poison!! Wish I had known all this when my son (just turned 20) was born… I feel like I have been unknowingly poisoning him all this time…

17. really says:

Just because a chemical has a name you aren’t familiar with that happens to be in food products does NOT inherently make it unsafe. All the negative side effects listed in this post are just as true for an alcoholic beverage.

Also, just because a chemical has versatile used, does not make it dangerous or unhealthy. Every application listed to make BHT seem harmful also uses water in the same processes.

@LA and Jackie. Toluene is a much different compound than butylated hydroxytoluene. Think of chlorine and sodium chloride. One is incredibly toxic and dangerous, while the other is table salt. Scientific names are means of identifying the structure of a compound, not its uses, benefits or harms.

I agree we should eat healthier and less processed foods. I just thinks its ridiculous to think that everything out there is going to kill us.

18. Marissa Applebum says:

Just because a compound is used in industrial contexts such as “jet fuels, rubber, petroleum products, electrical transformer oil, and embalming fluid” does not make it inherently unsafe. Obviously, one shouldn’t think of ingesting these products, but moreso because of the other ingredients they contain (i.e. toxic solvents). BHT is present in these mixtures of chemicals for the same reasons it is in foods- as an antioxidant.

Additionally, it should be kept in mind that data from the MSDS is mostly relevant to workers handling large quantities of product. For example, a worker who must measure amounts of this from a barrel cold accidentally inhale a large amount of dust

The difference between medicine and poison is the dose, after all…

19. Tonya says:

Just for reference, most Migraine Diets contain a ban for BHT. Apparently, most chemical food additives are bad for migrainers but BHT is by far the worst. My neurologist has me on a migraine diet [which is actually mostly healthy foods!] so there are a LOT of things I can’t eat. ~sigh~

@OrganicPusher: For those who happen to be on a migraine diet, vegan or vegetarian diets are pretty much impossible. The very things that are used for non-meat protein in those diets are banned in migraine diets; no legumes, no typical beans [green beans/wax beans are ok], no tofu [soy-based], no nuts, no pretty much anything protein that isn’t meat or meat by-product [eggs/milk/etc].

@The originator of the article, THANK YOU! I’ll be printing this out and taking it to my neurologist.

20. Matera the Mad says:

I like to stay away from “also used in” scarephrases. That can lessen effectiveness of argunents, if not backfire. Consider water — also used in weed killers, paint, radiator fluids, toilet cleaner, artificial maple syrup, window cleaner…. Awful stuff! ;-)

21. Eric says:

someone mentioned on this board that they use sunscreen and its first ingrediant is BHT.

Another great source for a sunscreen is Cocanut Oil, that you cook with. It takes a little bit, but it is a natural barier and will allow vitamin D to be created on your skin naturally.

Try it. It is edible as well, because you cook with it.

And there is not BHT in it.

U can find it in any health food store. Completely natural And it allows you to brown, without burning.

I have fair skin, I burn everytime, but I tried the Oil and it was amazing.

22. Bill says:

Thank you ‘really’ and Marissa for bringing some logic to this argument. BHT is proving to be very helpful in curing hepatitis-C. Google it.

23. Tonya says:

I agree, all chemicals [and many plants] have the ability to sicken or kill depending on dosage. However, there are certain things than are almost universal in the American diet which are almost impossible to avoid.

Have you ever noticed how many items have soy in them, for instance? Soy protein, soy lecithin, soybean flour, vegetable [ie, soybean] oil? It’s almost impossible to buy premade bakery products, pizza, even crackers that don’t contain some type of soy–even some instant oatmeals have it!

This is also true [to a lesser extent] for BHT. It’s present in virtually ALL dry cereals, in many cookies and crackers, even in BREADS, and a large variety of other foods and compounds.

For those of us who are barred from ingesting those items due to allergies or illness, it makes a diet miserable. I could give you an example of my daily menu [only dinner varies... ever], but it would depress me.

As for fear-mongering, I think there’s a lot of very good information in this comment section. The fact that some people may be avid opponents doesn’t make everything that’s been said irrelevant.

It’s also nice to see that I’m not entirely alone with some of my dietary problems.

24. Mom says:

Just noticed that the Cinnamin Toast Crunch cereal had “BHT added to preserve freshness” as the final ingredient, hence the googling of this website:)

25. Jen says:

I have been trying to live by Michael Pollans book “Food Rules.” One rule is to eat only foods with 5 or less ingredients and another is to be able to pronounce all of the ingredients. I thought I was doing good and saw a couple of my “good” foods had this BHT in it. This just disgusts me and that NOBODY is questioning it (Except for us few). I guess what my life needs is COMPLETE simplicity in all aspects. Life is sweet as it is. I dont need to have all this crap added to make it taste good. God has given us so much and we have ruined it.

26. Claude says:

BHT is also found in Kellogg’s Corn Flakes. :(

27. Arongorn says:

Great Post!! I just started eating some snack, and was looking up the ingriedients at the side of the box, and read that BHT is added last to the snacks packaging. I was curious what it was, and..Well… here I am!! I have one more in the list of hundreds of chemicals and materials to avoid. Thanks to your website! Great stuff!! Thank you!!! Keep the truth on product/material info coming!!!!

28. Arongorn says:

A chemical is a chemical. No way around it folks. Its un-natural to put a man made chemical “They” “Think” is safe and tell us it’s safe in our foods. Critically think about it.

A chemical free organic apple, free of pesticides, chemically based fertilizer, and who knows what else the corperate apple may have in it to “Preserve” taste and shelf life.
    versus
    An apple grown with Montesanto seeds, sprayed with man made pesticides, chemicals and who knows what else.

I choose my own garden and apple tree.
    Peace!!

29. pat says:

I have been using BHT for 31 years and have had nothing but excellent results. I will continue to use it until I die. I use it as a life extention material and to control herpes. I have not had a outbreak of herpes for more than 30 years and only then because I let my supply run out. It is effective against all lip coded viruses and is use as a super antioxidant.

• Kat says:

I am glad I saw your comment in all these posts. I was going to buy BHT to control herpes as it is getting out of control and BHT was recommended. But then I found this article and was reconsidering. Now I am not sure if to go for it or not.

30. lazovich says:

hey, that is its chemical name, but in reality it is extracted from pork fat, so pork farmers wont throw the fats aways, they use it in millions products… it is horrible, but they do nt wanna tell the truth to people, if they would, muslims will never buy their products, because pork is forbidden in Islam.

31. Dianna B says:

I too was trying to buy products that listed only one or two simple ingredients. The only cereals we would buy was Post Shredded Wheat and Quaker’s Oatmeal. We loved the shredded wheat because it came with an advertisement that said “Nothing to Hide.” But it too listed wheat and BHT in the packing material. It isn’t right to take a 23-letter chemical and reduce it to 3 letters to calm the consumer. It looks so innocent. I am going to Post’s website and try to get some answers. Why doesn’t someone offer these products with shorter but safer self lives? (Interesting comments from those who use it to control hepati

32. Fern says:

I wanted to find out what the BHT was in Raisin Bran, by Kellogs. Cherrios carries TSP, Trisodium Phosphate, a powerful floor cleaner.

33. gabe says:

BHT has been shown to kill lipid enclosed viruses eg warts,hepatitis c and herpes. it has also been reported to elongate the lives of mice, with potentials for increased human life span so lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater

• Avonti says:

Exactly. I don’t want that in my food. I copied and pasted the following from the naturalnews.com site:

“The “dynamic duo” BHA and BHT, both used to preserve products and fight fungus, have both been linked to allergic reactions, hyperactivity, rashes, asthma, and other health problems. In studies BHT has caused various disorders in animals, such as reduced body weight, increased blood cholesterol levels, and birth defects.

America is consuming mass amounts of chemicals put in foods and drinks. Both BHA and BHT are carcinogens that are prominent in potato-chips, cookies, cakes, carbonated drinks, chewing gum, shortening, lard, vegetable oils, margarine, cheese spreads, ice cream, dry cereals, cosmetics, and medical drugs.

If you see the phrases, “as a preservative” or “for added freshness,” you can be sure it’s for your own good, right? Wrong. In the United States of America, carcinogens like BHA & BHT (butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene) are widely used to preserve freshness, keep foods from going rancid, and prolong product shelf life, all while trading in consumer health and wellness for wider profit margins.”

Read the rest of the article here:

I no longer purchase products from giant companies like Kelloggs, Nabisco, ConAgra, etc. In order for them to mass produce their crap and protect their profits they use mass produced ingredients (like GMO corn, wheat, and soy)and additives (BHT!). I would advise everyone to start shopping elsewhere to find better food choices. These products are not on the shelf at your local chain grocery store and certainly are not carried at Walmart. Eating safer, healthier food involves more time, money and effort not only cooking but shopping too. Don’t trust anyone especially the FDA when it comes to your food. The FDA is just doing it’s main job. Protecting the agricultural and pharmaceutical giants that own them by the suppression of the truth. That is their one and only purpose. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

• DeeJay says:

well said Avonti – just because the FDA approves a ‘product’ does not deem it safe by any means – it usually means run the other direction
        it is not about our safety it is about lining their pocketbook – you know that most everything that has been ok’d is because some company paid them off – has been that way for years and is just getting worse everyday and this BHT thing was new to me so had to look it up as many did and that is how I got here.
        To those that it helps then more power to ya – but for those of us that have been having issues with one thing or another, glad it has been an eye opener for what is most likely causing that issue to start with – I am so sick of our corrupt government and what it is doing to our health as well as our country – MAY GOD HELP US ALL!

34. Rebecca says:

Its also in Chewing Gum. I just googled this because I saw it on the ingredient list on Trident White gum. On the package it says “To Maintain Freshness”.

35. Beatrice says:

What alternative to BHT is there in the market to delay the rancidity of fat and oil. Betty

36. Kris says:

I try to avoid BHT, BHA and TBHQ like the plague. Guess where I just found it? In my Infant’s Advil. Like our infants need this garbage? Like sodium benzoate isn’t enough of a preservative that they now have to add butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT). Add in the artificial flavor and color and we have wonderful chemical cocktail to feed our babies!

37. CJ Wilson says:

For exact numbers, the FDA allows 0.02% BHT upon fat content of any product while meat products contain less than 0.01% BHT, so we’re talking about 100 micrograms per gram of fat which less than one millionth of what is considered to be the lethal dose. Quantities that small like Gabe pointed out can actually be beneficial to humans.

Numbers were obtained from A.L. Branan’s article “Toxicology and biochemistry of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene”

38. Stelios says:

In Greece the cornflakes that I buy don’t contain BHT. The exact same cornflakes (Frosties) don’t have the same ingredients.

One reason could be that BHT is banned in Europe as a food additive like many other food colorings and artificial additives.

I live in Canada, many products that I eat that I used to eat back in Greece don’t have the same ingredient list and they are the same products/brands.

For instance Nuttela in Greece has no modified ingredient but in canada it has and the product list is big. Generally in Greek food market you will have to try hard to find modified food. The only widely used modified ingredient I see is modified startch and all these products come from USA directly with no Greek letters on the package (just a fake sticker) We all avoid it of course.
    Also , the poor Greece uses so much bio-food into our houses that the rich Canada/USA widely avoid it ! This is the weird part. I asked for a BIO-Section in a supermaket here in Canada and they stared at me like I was from another planet.

So, why Canada has to follow the same toxic experiment in foods like they do in USA. Canada is the pet of USA ?
    So Monsanto has power over Canada just because they speak the same language like in USA ? I remember Monstanto tried to bring modified foods in Europe throughout England (So Monsanto uses english-spoken countries to achieve the results).

Anyway, just assumptions. I just cant believe what I see in some juices in Canada whereas in greece they would never sell such waste-products to kids. I didn’t expect that from Canada, I thought they were more aware than USA but I guess that USA is stronger and does whatever it wants and Canada i first in the list because they are NEAR and they also speak the same language so it’s easier to push trash into the canadian food market.

• LovelyRiri says:

Gosh, Greece sounds lovely! With such fresh unmodified food. I’d move there if I could in a split second just based on that fact alone lol Ecspecially since I suffer from so many food allergies.

• Kristin says:

Here in the US Monsanto has started commercials, promoting themselves as a wholesome family company. They’ve spent billions on advertising because there is a small wave of smart consumers going organic and exposing them for who they really are. If they start to loose America, they loose a lot! Many of the stores here have absolutely NOTHING that is organic or non-gmo. So you can imagine how much money they make here. And people here don’t even think twice about their 100% GMO and modified diets.

I’m hoping Monsanto’s advertising will backfire, making people more aware of what they are eating. Just like I hope the adult immunization programs will backfire, making people more aware of the dangers and ineffectiveness of vaccines. Both have yet to happen.

39. Pierre says:

I am very concerned about any additives and preservatives. What about oat meal and whole grains for cooking?

I don’t see BHT listed, or any type of preservative. Is it possible these companies are using preservatives without listing it?

The reason I ask is because these products have to be protected from mold, so how is it done?

Thanx Interested if anyone knows?

40. sebastian says:

kroger sausage patties have BHT

41. Kat says:

Also Degree deodorant.

42. Sarah says:

Im having an argument with the family bc when i looked at Honey bunches of Oats (something they think they can’t live without) I found BHt on the ingredient list. They say it’s okay because it’s only in the packaging and not in the actual food. I’m assuming it’s bad either way but would like to make sure before I pitch the 3 boxes they just bought on sale ;)

• David Quilty says:

It is a food additive, not a packaging additive. It is added directly to the food.

• Sarah says:

This specifically says BHT added to the packaging material to preserve product freshness.

• Sherri says:

From what Ive recently researched, it is dangerous whether it is put in the packaging or used as a direct food additive.

• Kristin says:

the packaging is lined with bht. its not actually a part of the packaging. and its not directly mixed into the food. think of it as chicken, placed in a plastic bag that has been lined with flour. The flour still gets all over the chicken as a coating. The bht still gets all over the cereal. At least, thats the way its been explained to me by someone who used to work for general mills.

43. David Quilty says:

That’s strange, as it is usually added to the cereal. Personally, I wouldn’t want to eat anything that has come in contact with a cancer-causing chemical if I can help it. That, and it’s pretty much a sugar-coated cereal full of GMO ingredients, which isn’t good for you either. I say toss it :)

44. Sarah says:

Agreed!

45. Jen says:

Jeesh….the only way to know that what you’re putting into your body and that of your children is to MAKE IT YOURSELF! It’s ridiculous that we have to be so suspicious of pretty much everything we might consider purchasing, but it’s definitely reality.

• Joy says:

I agree. You can’t even eat a damn cracker. Watch out for Nabisco Whole Grain Saltine Crackers. Had to throw the whole box away.

46. Marcie says:

My favorite cereal is honey comb, I just brought a box, I haven’t had it in years because I heard BHT wasn’t good for you but never head about it, After reading all this info I’m taking it back to the store and exchange it for a safer. healthier cereal.. Yes I am and I still have the receipt. Thanks everyone for all your comments.

47. Marcie says:

I was trying to say that I never read about BHT before I just heard from word of mouth that it wasn’t good for us, I’m so glad I came upon this info on this site. Thanks everyone :-)

48. joy bernstein says:

came across because i tested for BHT intolerant..wow ..I didn’t even know..so…bye with the theory of Gluten for me..YES

49. Brian W. says:

Read “BHT added to packaging material to ensure our profit because we don’t want our cereal to go bad in under 6 months”. Because after all, who eats cereal in the first 3 months after they purchase it? Haha. God forbid a shelf-stable grocery product have an expiration date four to five months from the time the grocery store receives it. (The manufacturer might have to use partially hyrdrogenated oil as an alternative.)

Yesterday, I discovered this blurb on a few cereal boxes I had purchased–to my horror. I’ll eat them, but never buy them again.

Oh, names? Generic Toasted Rice Cereal, Generic Toasted Rice Squares, Generic HBO Strawberries. Really, I don’t need my cereal to last the next 10-12 months! (But maybe it actually would sit on the shelf that long if everyone refused BHT in any form.)

50. Stéphanie says:

+++++BHT IN ALL-BRAN BUDS*(CANADA)

51. pam says:

I found it in Diamond Walnuts.

52. Linda F. says:

Just so you know..when you put down the cereal and go for the fruits and vegetables, think about that waxy greasy stuff on the tomato or cucumber. Your store does not have to label information on the things that come in bulk. The BHT and other preservatives that come coated on your food are labeled on the box not the food itself. Shop Farmers Markets, Know your Farmer and Grow what you can. My husband and I have went back to preserving many summer foods that we grow for market. And now we are growing this into part of our farm business. Good Luck

53. Kristin says:

I looked up BHT because its in my store brand cheerios! I didn’t know this when I bought it either. Usually I don’t buy anything with ingredients that I don’t know about but I was in a hurry. When I got home and realized it, I decided to look it up. Now I have to return this crap. When will stores start caring more about people than profit?

54. Bill says:

Just came across a box of
    Wheat Thins in my desk, ate one,and found it to taste fresh. It was crispy. Checked the “Best when used by date” and found it to be 1 year and 4 months ago. The only preservative listed is BHT added to packaging material to preserve freshness. What is this doing to our bodies?

55. oliver says:

@valerie – thanks for the Fooducate app suggestion, love it!

56. goerge says:

I have a box of hole wheat cereal at home with bht. I’m still going to finish it. But thanks for the info.

57. Lilly says:

If BHT is in our food even the smallest bit, it is not good for us. Lately my daughter pointed out to me that the outside bag not the box of cereals had been sprayed with BHT for freshness.
    If it is not fresh, don’t buy it. Check the date, and if expired, show it to the store manager and walk away.
    My younger sister recently died of cancer that could have been caused by these kinds ofadditives as she believed in the short cuts that made her food preparation easier and faster. She will never have the chance to correct that.
    Don’t become a statistic, fix it now!

58. Rhonda says:

BHT…didn’t know about BHT until just a few days ago, but with an abormal condition I’d been having for a few weeks I sat and made a list of things I’d possibly changed in diet and life in last month or so. I realized I’d changed my deoderant. Well, the deoderant hit far too close to MY abnormal symptoms-very very sore-tender breasts/both. Now this might happen occasionally around my cycle, but NEVER for a full month.
    I compared my old deoderant label with my new one and the only difference in ingredients was BHT. I did some research and stopped using it two days ago, washed clothes and bras that might be contaminated and have noticed the pain and fullness in both breasts has subsided. Related????
    Before finding this sight I read on a harmful ingredients site “healthyhabitat.com” (list lots of harmful stuff) that BHT is also considered a synthetic oestrogen. Breast tissue extends to the armpit…and estrogen can cause breast swelling and tenderness…and BHT does get asorbed into the skin. Yikes!
    Oh yeah the deoderant was Lady Speedstick (but only found BHT in the stainguard one, and not the regular one… and not in any of my husbands deoderants). Take this how you will but I know my body well, and I knew something different was causing the severe tenderness and fullness. A little label reading and research made a difference for me.

• Lisa says:

Wow, that is really disturbing. I know too much estrogen can affect fertility too, and that’s just one more source to watch out for. It really does seem to be in everything, doesn’t it? I think my spring cleaning this year is going to involve knowing the ingredients of the foods and products I use and getting rid of the ones that are secretly poisoning us.

59. Nikki says:

Same with the laundry detergent comment. EDTA is used to Fortify compunds for use wether it be in our grains or products, like stability for detergent. when its in our bodies, Aside from the fact that majority of all things are bad for us in our food you can not compare/make the point that it is bad by what else it is used in. Thats ignorant.

60. Dan says:

BHT is also in Kellogg’s Special K Vanilla Almond. :(

61. Sarah says:

UGH! Just ate a small bag of BUGLES, BHT in big bold letters, wish I would have seen that BEFORE I ate them… will be downloading the app FOODUCATE!

62. Shira says:

Like Sarah, I realized BHT was in my Bugles, and after reading the MSDS, I sent Betty Crocker (essentially General Mills) a quick email telling them they lost a customer until they got it out of their foods.

Giving the companies feedback is a useful option, sometimes more useful than just not buying the product because then they know the reason behind the loss in a sale. They also probably know you are going to tell others, especially since this is something that can be toxic. I always take a chance to email my dissatisfaction to companies when I figure out about stuff like this.

As someone with a science background, I’m not really panicking about this. The dose they give you in food can’t be much and the toxicity is acute which means the harmful effects usually are only seen from a single exposure or multiple exposures in a short time period (within 14 days to be categorized as “acute”). If it was chronic, it may be more worrisome because then the small doses over time would definitely be harmful. However, that’s not saying BHT is safe or could not be chronic (probably hasn’t had too many studies ran for chronic toxicity; acute is what companies care about because you get sick right after using their product and the two are easily linked).

Just some thoughts. I will be removing it from my diet where I can.

• Melly says:

Thanks funny, I just looked up BHT because I was looking at ingredients in my BUGLES!

Why do they need sugar in there too is beyond me.

63. Jen says:

It’s also in StoveTop stuffing mix. Had it last night, hours later I woke up drenched in sweat, dizzy, with my stomach in pain, and feeling like I might vomit, Before I realized, my son had it today, and mere minutes later he was crying in pain, and didn’t want to continue eating anything, I took him to the bathroom where he promptly…erm…voided his bowels, and felt much better. I had it tonight again before I realized. ..Tonight oughta be fun…

64. derek says:

Bht is in the sloppy joe hot pocket i just ate…..

65. Theresa says:

I went to the store yesterday and decided to buy some Kelloggs Rice Krispies. I looked at the ingredients first and it stated it has BHT. I had never heard of BHT so I bought the cereal, but I said was not going to open it until I did some research to find out what BHT is. Well, back to the store the cereal goes.

66. Tara says:

I just realized how much “healthy” foods contain so many bad things for us and our children! I for one am messaging all these companies as everyone on here should be too! Let them hear it from the people who keep them in business!

67. Sophia Berlin says:

I finally figured out that I have a facial swelling reaction when consuming a product with BHT. Every time I eat a Chex cereal it happens. There is nothing in Chex to which I am allergic, but my eyelids swell and get itchy every time I eat it. I am absolutely sure it is BHT. No more BHT in anything for me!

68. J says:

i had a lady in Fortinos tell me how removing BHT from her sons diet helped improve his attention span and had increassed focus on tasks. Where or haow do you find lists of products containing BHT? would they use it in the packaging of products or just the product themselves?

69. Joy says:

Nabisco Premium Whole Grain Saltine Crackers has BHT in the packaging. Had to throw away the whole box.

70. Relik says:

This is just stupid. Why would they do this? I just looked at the ingredients of the Kellogs Corn flakes.. and there as the last ingredient is BHT. I mean like seriously? you want to preserve shelf life to save your self money and poison millions in the process? im going natural from now.. this is getting far to frequent.

71. Jill says:

I finally decided to check on this thing. Yup, I just f **kin’ knew it. Just knew it couldn’t be something inert to use as a preservative…. Sad. So it was in my Stater Bros. Bite-Sized Shredded Wheat (Store brand). So that’s a shame. They just had to go and ruin something really healthy. FYI, I have 2 Kashi cereals in there and neither one of them had BHT listed. Hopefully that means they DON’T have it! For now I’ll take their word for it as they seem like a conscious company. Glad im finally becoming aware to this!! It’s funny. I remember looking at the cereal boxes as a kid when I would eat breakfast, and I would see “BHT” on there a lot, and I always wondered what that was, since I could recognize most if not all of the other stuff listed.

72. IC says:

Trader Joe’s DOES sell GMOs. (They sell Kashi cereals, for example.) Their house brand does not contain GMOs, though.
    If it’s not BHT, it will be some other toxic ingredient. Toss the processed crap and just eat eggs from chickens that didn’t eat processed crap . . .

73. Shawn says:

Just bought a box of Kellog’s Frosted Mini Wheats only to realize that it has BHT as well! Needless to say, it will be the last box of them I will ever buy.

74. Karrie says:

It seems most cereals have BHT in them. My daughter loves Cinnamon Toast Crunch, well doing my homework I found “Mom’s Best Cereal” brand cereal called Toasted Cinnamon Squares and she loves them just as much and they do not have BHT in them. That brand also has other flavors/kinds of cereals as well.

75. Lilian says:

Thanks to all of you for your information. I too am in the process of eating/living cleaner (and it has been an adventure), and in the good old U.S. even with our abundances, it is a most difficult task.

I wanted to add my two cents regarding shopping : Whole Foods is currently in a project that by 2018 (I think) thier stores will be 80% non-GMO, which is a huge feat. I am lucky to have close by (30 minutes away) to where I live now but that wasn’t always the case so I have sympathy for those with limited access to healthier shopping. Not to mention the cost (don’t get me started!) but it is what it is. The poorer amongst us don’t get a break here either…myself included at the moment. However one day I quietly decided that my family and I are worthy of healthier food at least better choices of food and I am making it work.

Another tidbit regarding shopping is to look up and keep an eye on Trader Joe’s reputation. A good question that I asked myself is where does TJ’s get their food? They do not produce all of their products (I do not know the % of brand name product they produce) so where do they get it? How good is the reputation of the people they purchase from? These questions came to light when I found out about the honey I have been using (as I switch off from sugar and artificial sweetener) from TJ. You can check it out yourself if you want. I guess my point is to ask the questions, get informed, make healthful decisions.

76. Lane says:

Thank you! This was very informative. I have always wondered what BHT was because it is an ingredient in many gluten free foods. That makes it even more frightening! These are supposedly healthy foods that contain this nasty preservative. I know I’ll be reading labels much more carefully! I don’t want embalming fluid in my body until I’m dead.

77. Mollie says:

I recently was “enlightened” about all the junk (BHT, BHA, TBHQ, etc) in our food when searching for a natural way to help my 8yr old with difficulties focusing at school. In my research, I was appalled that I had ever let my children put any of that into their bodies. I immediately made a change in our diets. Within 5 days, not only did she tell me it seemed a little easier to focus at school, but her handwriting went from that of a kindergartner to what looked like a 4th or 5th grade level. Not only that, but she had struggled with bed-wetting her entire life, She had been having an accident every night- but 5 days after getting rid of those chemicals- she was dry AND has been since!
    If only 5 days could make such a difference, imagine the benefits my children will now have from being free from all that JUNK!

78. Miss says:

Might as well not eat anything. Kashi: GMO pro. Forget that. Anything canned has a plastic lining containing BPA. Propylene glycol which is a petroleum based lubricant is added to EVERYTHING that is processed. Guar Gum and Carageenan a preservative-also in virtually everything. The list of carcinogens is endless….

79. Darlene says:

WOW!! I never knew about this, I will be making changes in my home. For the sake of my children. And will tell others as well.

80. Deb Wood says:

I also just read on Web MD BHT is used to treat genital herpes and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).

Some people apply BHT directly to the skin for cold sores.

I have never heard of BHT until I read this article then googled it to find out more information and then I found the this information.

81. jess says:

I just finished eating quaker dipps chocolate fudge granola bar…. yup… its in there :( now I have a stomach ache.

82. Jake says:

I was looking at my box of Kellogg’s frosted flakes and the Ingredients didn’t look too bad. Of course they had to ruin that with BHT

83. joe johnson says:

This harmful chemical has been introduced into every brand of cereal why because your children eat it everyday. When I emailed kelloggs and general mills and asked why they put BHT in their breakfast cereal. Their response was a coupon for the very product I was complaining about. I have stopped buying cereal and suggest everyone else do the same till they REMOVE THIS HARMFUL CHEMICAL!

84. MelissaMenow says:

I was just reading the box of vitamin drops ‘pediaVit’ the nurse gave my 18month old son . I was instructed to give him 1mL a day &i noticed one of the ingredients was BHT. It’s crazy this would be in a baby’s vitamins that is said to help teeth &bones.! After reAding &knowing what BHT is I will not be giving my son these vitamins . Most definitely won’t be . It’s very important we’ll all as parents watch out what we are giving to our children.!

85. Dylan K says:

Oh my god, BHT is in Frosted Flakes… It states the reason is to “preserve freshness”

86. Edward says:

I have recently noticed that foods past the expired date are giving off a foul taste and odour that I never encountered earlier in my life. Expired food just became stale or moldy. I personally believe that food manufacturers are deliberately adding a substance that in itself goes rancid to force people to throw away food when it is probably still good. When I was growing up , from the later sixties, I have never encountered this before. What is up with this? A marketing scheme to force people to throw away food long before it actually is rotten and unsafe to eat. Any one notice this?

87. Khrys says:

Most of the things we consume contains BHT. It is difficult for companies to produce these products without it because it will go bad by the time it reaches store shelves. Unfortunately this is what us as consumers have to deal with. It is a growing problem in today’s world.

88. Khrys says:

The only thing we can do is educate ourselves as well as our families on these issues.

89. J.P. says:

Hi there,

I was just reading the label on one of my cosmetics and found BHT in there. The company “Fresh” cosmetics is sort of marketed as a more natural type of cosmetic and beauty product. Unfortunately, many of their products contain BHT. I got curious about this ingredient after looking up BHT and reading this post. Come to find out SOOOOOO many beauty products (even your favorite “high end” ones) contain BHT. Here are just a few that I found in just a couple minutes going through my beauty products: Lancome Tresor perfume, Burberry Body perfume, Fresh Black tea eye cream, STILA lip glaze, Crabtree & Evelyn hand cream, Gucci Guilty Eau de Toilette. I’m sure the list could go on and on and on. It sickens me to know that so many companies are using these horrible ingredients. Its no wonder that people are getting all kinds of cancer and such. Just wanted to throw it out there that we all need to read the labels and learn what is actually in everything we use and consume. Just because you pay a lot of money for it doesn’t mean it is any “better” than anything else. In reality it could be worse for you!